The Difficulties of Making a Band...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Musicwolf said:

you need to find one band with like minded soles.

Why should having the same feet as everyone else make a difference? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited March 2019
    My experience has been that people get bored once you've spent too long in rehearsals without gigs.  I think if it's covers you've got to pick the tunes up front and maybe set a deadline for everyone learning them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    I posted some ads on JoinMyBand as 'featured' ads, and got several messages. One of which was for a band based in Oxford, where the lead guitarist is leaving due to work, and they're looking for a replacement. Got in touch with the guy there, and he sent me a setlist... and I kid you not, it's like my dream setlist.

So, I'm meeting them tomorrow night for a jam - fingers crossed....!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
     Nunogilberto said:
    Musicwolf said:

you need to find one band with like minded soles.

Why should having the same feet as everyone else make a difference? ;)

Doh! :3
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    FarleyUK said:
    Update - told the rest of the band I won't be proceeding. Feel relieved, which tells me I made the right choice.

Now just to find a decent band needing a lead guitarist....!
    I decided that if I wanted to hear my music coming out of loudspeakers I should get some instruments and learn how to play & record them.

have you thought of that approach?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    FarleyUK said:
    I posted some ads on JoinMyBand as 'featured' ads, and got several messages. One of which was for a band based in Oxford, where the lead guitarist is leaving due to work, and they're looking for a replacement. Got in touch with the guy there, and he sent me a setlist... and I kid you not, it's like my dream setlist.

If the setlist is perfect it must be that the band are twats. 

Hope they aren't...

How'd it go?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I always say join a ready made band.

The worst is trying to find people who want to write music. It's a bloody nightmare. Hence I took up WAY more guitar and put the bass on hold so I could lead the riff writing machine. 
    FarleyUK said:

Hope they aren't...

How'd it go?
    Actually, they seem like a really decent bunch. Went to see them play in Swindon Saturday night as well, so I could see how they are live (and also if they all pull their weight) - I was pretty impressed.

Only negatives are that to get to rehearsals, it's an hour from me, but they're willing to make compromises around that for me. They seem to really want me to join as well, so it's looking good!
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:

Hope they aren't...

How'd it go?
    Actually, they seem like a really decent bunch. Went to see them play in Swindon Saturday night as well, so I could see how they are live (and also if they all pull their weight) - I was pretty impressed.

Only negatives are that to get to rehearsals, it's an hour from me, but they're willing to make compromises around that for me. They seem to really want me to join as well, so it's looking good!

Yay!

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Yep!

And the other guitarist has handed over the solo on Wasted Years to me, as it's one of my favourites. Huzzah!
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Starting bands is always a bitch. I don't know whether the recruitment is worst or finding common ground/decision making afterwards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2019
    Starting bands is always a bitch. I don't know whether the recruitment is worst or finding common ground/decision making afterwards.
    I enjoy the recruitment part. But totally agree on the common/ group decision making afterwards point.

The last few I've played in have been more democratic. What that has meant is too much chat on messenger and people not always agreeing. 

I'm convinced that you need a person that's leading. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    AndyJP said:

Absolutely this.

I've been in bands where they had someone who made the decisions and it worked really well.

You could say I think this bit should go like this and they would usually say "fine", but if they said "No, I like it like this" then that was how it was. Noses sometimes out of joint, but stuff gets done.

The worst are bands that pretend to be a democracy, but actually aren't. One band I was in had someone was clearly the band leader, but would come up with these really complex processes to pretend to be democratic then ignore them. For example they required that all the songs to be added to the set were submitted by email then were added to an excel spreadsheet which we then had to have a band meeting outside of rehearsal to review. Everyone listened to all the songs and then gave them points which were totaled up on the spreadsheet to determine which would be dropped from the list and which learned and in what order and then at the next rehearsal the guy who was the defacto band leader would say "I think we should learn this instead" and we would learn something that wasn't even on the list.
    edited March 2019
    That's pretty shocking.   What a waste of everyone's time and energy.  Will watch out for that.

The lead role seems tough.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    It was just the bullshit factor I couldn't handle.

I would say. "It's fine, you choose the songs and unless I absolutely hate it we will do it", but we would have to go through the whole charade.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    AndyJP said:

100% this.

Bands work best as benevolent dictatorships.

If you're not the dictator than you have to be OK with being dictated to.

R.