Guitar amp vs Bass amp

What's Hot
RussGRussG Frets: 15
Hi all. I'm really new to all this so i have a load of questions. I am currently learning to pay guitar, but also want to play bass. I have this amp at the moment:

https://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f28/snipershot7990/amp_zpspzdiirkm.jpg

Full  spec can be seen here:

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/Guitar-and-Bass/DISC-White-Horse-GT260-120W-DSP-Guitar-Amp-Stack/8J3

I have read that running a bass through a guitar amp can blow the speakers. Now this amp is quite loud and while practising at home I have the volume very low. As long as I dont go too mad, woud I be able to play bass through this without destroying it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Yes, it should be fine as long as you keep to ‘at home’ volume levels.
  • RussGRussG Frets: 15
    Cheers Jez

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Yes, completely fine as long as you aren't pushing it hard. Use a clean sound - you'll almost certainly want that for bass anyway - and as long as you hear no distortion from the power stage or speakers it will be fine. If you do want to use an overdriven bass sound, just make sure the final volume is *quieter* than the volume you can still get a clean sound at.

Since it appears that the cabs are closed-back - there look like there are some small round ports in the lower corners - I'd probably go even further and say that it's unlikely you'll blow the speakers even if you do crank it, but that wouldn't be the best advice :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

the backs are open, well sort of...half covered i think
    I hate being a newbie LOL

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    RussG said:
    Hmmm... strange that they have ports then, since they won't do anything! Never mind, it's very unlikely you'll blow the speakers anyway.

RussG said:
    Never be afraid to ask. The newbie who doesn't ask - and has just enough knowledge by himself to be dangerous :) - plugs his friend's bass into his hi-fi and promptly blows both speakers...

:)

To be fair it was before the internet and I was only about 17 at the time ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I used my Marshall Valvestate 8080 for bass for years. I still use the speaker from it in a homemade 2x12 for guitar to this day. No issues.
    ICBM said:
    RussG said:
    Hmmm... strange that they have ports then, since they won't do anything! Never mind, it's very unlikely you'll blow the speakers anyway.

RussG said:
    Never be afraid to ask. The newbie who doesn't ask - and has just enough knowledge by himself to be dangerous :) - plugs his friend's bass into his hi-fi and promptly blows both speakers...

:)

To be fair it was before the internet and I was only about 17 at the time ;).
    hahaha.....sounds like me and a friends bullet chronograph.....they dont react well when they are hit by a .308!!!
    if its open back, what are the two other holes for at the front?
    RussG said:
    Yes. The good news is that the speaker is rated for 100W, and going by the size of the magnet, that is probably believable. So both together are rated for 200W, and there’s probably no danger to them at all with a 60W amp, even with bass.

RussG said:
    Exactly! In a closed-back cab, they would be ports to tune the low-end a bit. In an open-back cab they won’t do much at all, so I suspect it’s a case of muddled design...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ahhhh......right i know.....if it was closed back these holes would have open ended cones or tubes attached to help the bass notes......yes?
    ICBM said:
    RussG said:
    Yes. The good news is that the speaker is rated for 100W, and going by the size of the magnet, that is probably believable. So both together are rated for 200W, and there’s probably no danger to them at all with a 60W amp, even with bass.

RussG said:
    Exactly! In a closed-back cab, they would be ports to tune the low-end a bit. In an open-back cab they won’t do much at all, so I suspect it’s a case of muddled design...
    Ill still take it easy.....at least the neighbours wont be disturbed.....much!!
    RussG said:
    ahhhh......right i know.....if it was closed back these holes would have open ended cones or tubes attached to help the bass notes......yes?
    In a proper tuned ported cab, yes. In guitar cabs, often not! Guitar cab design is often very crude and unscientific - since the goal is not hi-fi response, trial and error mixed with whatever looks like it will work seems to be the usual approach :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom