Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So what's with all this neck shaking business?

What's Hot

Comments

• This is how it's done ..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    darius said:
    Why does everyone with a youtube channel feel the need to shake their guitar necks, resulting in totally no effect? 
    Tremelo arm anyone?

Get a Marshall  amp, crank it take your guitar and shake the neck .. it was a trick of Hendrix to create sonic mayhem .. as per the @JohnPerry ; post above ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    Strat54 said:
    Think I just wet myself at this. Wasn't even looking for an example, but here you goes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vRnAqRojtQ
    That is hilarious.... It reminds me of a line in the film Cool Hand Luke.....’Keep Shaking the Bush Boss’  :)

https://youtu.be/G7QwTTn3FIk
  • darius said:
    I think its the 'all the bloody time' element of the waggling that irks me so. 
    There's only really one time it should be used. And that is if you are playing the last note of Sweet Child of Mine and you are Slash. One massive bend. No waggle.
    I remember watching a clip of Slash doing that while I was playing my Les Paul, and thinking, easy for you mate, you're rich :)
  • Seems a pretty legitimate technique to me. Several of my favourite players use it a lot- (Colin Cripps is no poseur)

In fact back in the 70's Fender made a lot of guitars with extra large neck pockets to facilitate it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    edited February 2019
    Bill Frisell and Jim Campilongo are both masters of this as an expressive device.

Frisell talks about it here at 26:35.

• Seems a pretty legitimate technique to me. Several of my favourite players use it a lot- (Colin Cripps is no poseur)

In fact back in the 70's Fender made a lot of guitars with extra large neck pockets to facilitate it.
    Most of the times I've seen it online - and there's a lot of it online - it's just a bit of a waggle combined with an earnest gurn that achieves absolutely nothing at all.

I don't there's some obscure technique that some have used, but I don't think we're talking about the same thing. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited February 2019
    I assumed it was simply just a way of making someone sat down playing a guitar on their lap look a bit more exciting.

It doesn't annoy me as much as the eternal fiddling with volume/tone pot to find the holy grail of tone.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3448
    Some of the videos on this thread are not holding the body before vibratoing the neck. Overall I wouldn't recommend doing anything that puts any extra stress on the neck joint.
  • I assumed it was simply just a way of making someone sat down playing a guitar on their lap look a bit more exciting.

It doesn't annoy me as much as the eternal fiddling with volume/tone pot to find the holy grail of tone.
    Aye Chris Buck annoys the crap out of me by adjusting the volume knob every 3 seconds 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    It depends on the guitar as to whether it does much. On my Explorer it does - quite a thin neck and the fin that sticks out to the right adds a counterweight which helps the body resist movement. I like it for getting slower tremolo than is comfortable to get with fingers. Also, pulling the neck back while hitting a note hard helps the attack go sharp which can sound exciting in the right context (less so for more technical styles where it'll just sound out of tune).

It feels quite safe to me. Nothing like bending the neck via pushing the headstock because when you do that, you're forcing it. When you're just pulling the neck back and forth it's self limiting - the whole guitar is free to move, and the harder you "wiggle" the quicker the body will move to reduce tension at the neck join.
  • I assumed it was simply just a way of making someone sat down playing a guitar on their lap look a bit more exciting.

Aye Chris Buck annoys the crap out of me by adjusting the volume knob every 3 seconds 
    It reminds me of Nigel Tufnell adjusting the tuning on the violin he plays the guitar with. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I suppose it’s the modern day equivalent of windmilling...
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    I honestly cannot stand these orgasmic facial expressions on these videos too. It’s so put on and excruciating. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I honestly cannot stand these orgasmic facial expressions on these videos too. It’s so put on and excruciating. 
    Do they do it when no one is watching?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited February 2019
    I honestly cannot stand these orgasmic facial expressions on these videos too. It’s so put on and excruciating. 
    Do they do it when no one is watching?
    I’m sure they do. Just not when playing guitar. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    If you don't like something on a YouTube video the best thing to do is to leave a measured, reasoned comment below it, it's a great area of the internet for level-headed debate that is both respectful and insightful.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    True story - But I once had a customer wanting a refund on his guitar that he'd purchased the day before - Because when he held the headstock facia and moved it to/fro it caused such a 'tremelo/vibration' 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    It's facial gurning I've never understood. Perhaps im a tad self conscious!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    darius said:
    I think its the 'all the bloody time' element of the waggling that irks me so. 
    There's only really one time it should be used. And that is if you are playing the last note of Sweet Child of Mine and you are Slash. One massive bend. No waggle.
    @darius  I've recently read Slash's autobiography and he mentions doing this one time and the neck just exploded in his hands, it just shattered apparently!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.