How do I know if I've cooked my Hot Plate??

NerineNerine Frets: 2168
Just lately, I've been running up my JCM 800 into my Hot Plate. 

I mainy use it less for attenuation, more for the "Deep" switch to thicken it up a bit. (I'm gonna go for an EQ pedal in the loop). 

Anyway, I experienced a pretty severe drop in level just whilst noodling away at home. I was like WTF? 
Had a look in the back of the amp. Appears normal. All 34's are glowing with a faint blue tinge. I did notice when I twotted a chord or something that in one area on one of the power valves there was a focusing of the blue hue a bit. 

Anyway, fast forward. I took it to rehearsal not that long after this happened and left the attenuator at home (I think. Can't really remember. Ha.) and the amp functioned as normal and it has been since. The level hasn't been doing anything weird. I've not really used the Hot Plate since then, just in case, but is there any specific way to tell if it's the THD that's potentially on the fritz?? 

Ive got a new set of EL34's to pop in the amp if needs be, but I haven't really got the skills to bias it. (I do have a multi meter, so if I can bias it properly using just a multi meter, then all cool, I'll give it a stab) but I'd rather not change them if I don't have to. The tech I use has some other gubbins he attaches to the valve sockets. 

I'all do some more dicking about tomorrow, but in the meantime, was wondering, as stated, if random level drops where something to expect from an attenuator that's starting to get a bit iffy?? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    edited February 2019
    Marshalls and Hotplates are a bad combination and put a lot of stress on the valves when you push them hard - although the warning sign is orange glow from the valve screens not blue glow, which is normal. If you’re not driving the amp hard it won’t be that though.

It could also be a fault with the Hotplate, most likely the main level switch, but also possibly some other internal connection.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    If you want me to come over and talk you through the biasing, that’s not a problem mate! 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    Thanks bro. I'm hopefully actually gonna get some time to play it today after cleaning the bloody studio since Monday.