First time build , any advice?

Will_JWill_J Frets: 0
edited February 2019 in Making & Modding
Hey guys, just joined the forum, I'm Will its good to be here.

So ive recnetly decided to build guitars as a new hobby, just for fun really. But the shell i have to work on is the infamous Marlin Sidewinder KT34...

Ive done my research and im well aware of the awful bridges, the issue is im not sure whats the best replacment option. Ive tried a couple Floyd Rose copies but im not convinced they are a perfect fit.. Im also strugguling to find a pickguard that fits, do 1980's strat copies have massivley different shapes?  I'm very new to all of this so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers guys

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4935
    I'm not sure how standard the Marlins are, but in general there are variations at the bridge end of Strat pickguards (6-crew trem, Fender 2-post trem, Floyd, hardtail, etc.) and at the neck pocket too.

Fender did seem to happily change the number of screws used on pickguards over time, but so have other brands (I've just had to drill holes in a Rickenbacker bass to fit a pickguard).

The Floyd copies are OK, but I had an issue with the one I had, where the trem arm fitting wore out in days; fortunately, a real Floyd part fitted, so it was OK.
  • Will_JWill_J Frets: 0
    Hey mate thanks for the quick reply and aplogies for my slow reply, I really apreciate the advice. Ive got 2 variations of the pickguard but they seem to be a couple centimeters too long for the body. So the HSH holes dont line up correctly, or the top of the plate actually has to sit on the neck to fit. I think both of which are hardtails so ill find out which variation is correct, as its defintley not hardtail!

Was it painful drilling into a rickenbacker? haha

Okay I will bare that it mind, this guitar is only for buliding practces really so it may not see a lot of play time.

Thanks again mate :+1: