hello. new here

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    spark240 said:
    Stillies said:
    thanks roberty, thats the sort of thing.
    no worries bridehouse.  bass isnt for me really.  too boring.  
    ill watch some katana vodeos too.  thanks
    Boring??

Ouch !....And with the name misspell thrown in as well...FIGHT !

Welcome @Stillies ;-)
    I’m sure @Stillies will soon figure out who the management are ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i seem to have offended someone already.  ouch.  didnt mean to spell the name wrongly, just misread it.  very sorry.  not a good start for me here.

when i used to play in a sort of band, the bassist wasnt that good.  ok.  i wasnt much good either lolz.  but she struggled to play anything very interesting, it was just plod plod plod bass lines so i just think of bass=boring.

im just outside london fretwired. 
    made sure i spelled that name right.

how do people repeat what someone else has written in their replies?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited February 2019
    Highlight the "quote" section next to the LOL, something like an Epiphone SG and a Boss Katana etc would suit you well and welcome to the madness :)

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Not offended at all ;)

Good to have you on board!
  • sweepy said:
    Highlight the "quote" section next to the LOL, something like an Epiphone SG and a Boss Katana etc would suit you well and welcome to the madness :)

thanks.  looks like it works.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited February 2019
    Just banter @Stillies all good :-)

I'm glad someone finally had the balls to stand up and say bass guitar is boring!

I have a vintage brand Les Paul copy and honestly it's a very good guitar, not only for the money 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

Welcome aboard from me, Breakstud. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    https://www.gak.co.uk/en/vox-mini-3-g2-cl/81992?gclid=CjwKCAiAqt7jBRAcEiwAof2uK_Ky3RaccOm7_KN7ZyZs7yBeOVzitV5Y2ImVfdA8UIyx6MKubMNUSBoCO3oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I gave three 70s Marshall heads for gigging but this is perfect for home use. 
    Vintage are great and you can often find a killer Epiphone second hand, especially the early-mid 90s ones. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Welcome.
    Pop your clothes in the locker and then you can oil up and prepare for what awaits.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Wotcher !

Pacifica or Vintage will get you a serviceable guitar. Boss/ Line6/ Marshall/ Fender/ Blackface all have starter models - don't bother with stuff more than 5w unless you want to gig.

For home use/practice the Yamaha THR amps are great.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12318
    Second hand Melody Maker and a second hand Katana will be £400 if you are patient. Pretty Joan Jetty right there.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5163
    Run my child and don’t look back while you still have the chance! It’s too late for rest of us! When you reach civilisation please bring us help......Or Welcome to the Forum.. :)

https://i.imgur.com/kk8mHgO.png
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Welcome.
     Will you be requiring a Bigsby?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Welcome.
    Pop your clothes in the locker and then you can oil up and prepare for what awaits.
    no schhol today?

thanks other for the suggestions.    ive been spending hours on utube looking at different amp demos and more hours on ebay looking at possible guitars.  the katana looks good for the money so thats a favourite right now.  anyone here use one day to day?  guitars are more difficult to narrow down with all the choices so more screen-shopping hours ahead.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3008
    @Stillies ;

I'm a beginner guitarist who started with acoustic and not long switched to electric. I'm generally into old school punk i.e Pistols, Damned but dabble in other stuff too. I bought an Epiphone LP Standard which seemed to get good 'beginner' reviews (below) and find it ideal for the stuff I want to play - fits me like a glove and I love playing it.  Through recommendations on here I also purchased a Boss Katana 50, which seems to play well at 5w, but can also go to 25w and 50w if I ever decide to go gigging (a good year or two away yet!)

£350 for the guitar + £170 for the amp

And what I think is great starting equipment, with some scope, for a beginner like me.

https://www.guitarfella.com/epiphone-les-paul-standard-review/

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Stillies said:
    octatonic said:
    Welcome.
    no schhol today?
    They make foot spray right?
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    edited March 2019
    Welcome, I use a Katana 50 for both home and the studio, loud enough to cut through even with a heavy handed drummer! Can still have it screaming on the .5w setting as well but at sensible volume for home, great value for money.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    Welcome @Stillies.
    I can't make any better suggestions for gear to start on, but welcome to the forum and keep it fun!