Looking at events and concerts through a smartphone

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
Amazing to see people viewing a concert, presumably recording it at the same time, through their smartphone. Much easier to put the phone away and look at the stage where it is all happening.  I saw John Fogerty in Dublin recently and was staggered to observe patrons recording parts of the show on their phones while ignoring what was going on onstage.  I suppose they upload these files to Social Media. Much better IMHO to watch and enjoy the show.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have a wisdom.

These days people just want to post stuff on their social media to get likes and show off to their friends rather than actually being in the moment.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw a couple at the Brian Cox show the other night just playing games on their phones through the whole second half! 

I'm not usually a judgemental snob...but they had clearly been bought the tickets as a present by someone who attributed them with more intelligence than they actually have. They were obviously struggling to keep up! 

I do agree though, filming gigs is an abomination. Real memories are HD, 3D, surround sound and don't have their quality reduced by YouTube! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been to a show where the singer said "first song- record, photograph etc. Then PHONES AWAY & enjoy the gig". 
    Half way through he repeated the request for folk to live in the moment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    edited February 2019
    I arrived late for a gig once (standing tickets) and the zoom on my phone helped me see what was going on on stage
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    It's so you can do this sort of thing:

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    This is the era of smart phones and stupid people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll take a couple of photos and an Insta story at the start of a band's set but for the rest of it I'll just enjoy the show.
  • I take the odd photo on my phone at a gig as a momento although often it’s so rubbish there is no point at all. 

I was watching one of the BBC in concerts and someone in the audience was filming the band on their phone. They were at a concert being filmed by the BBC and still felt the need to film it on a phone. Yep, sod the iPlayer I’ve got ten minutes of inaudible shakey footage on my Samsung...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    I saw a couple at the Brian Cox show the other night just playing games on their phones through the whole second half!
    What did you think of the show? I saw him for the first time on Saturday and thought it was amazing even though in most of it the numbers being used were too big for me to fully comprehend, 200-400 billion stars in our galaxy.... :o
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    I've got into arguments at gigs before regarding this. If someone is in front of me, I'll give them thirty seconds before asking politely for them to stop recording.  If that fails, modern technology isn't particularly waterproof so a well aimed, last dregs of a pint usually works. 

I havent paid to watch a show through someone else's 4" screen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • King85 said:
    I saw a couple at the Brian Cox show the other night just playing games on their phones through the whole second half!
    What did you think of the show? I saw him for the first time on Saturday and thought it was amazing even though in most of it the numbers being used were too big for me to fully comprehend, 200-400 billion stars in our galaxy.... :o
    @King85 it was briilliant! Really eye opening and entertaining .

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • On the recent Jack White tour you had to lock your phone away in a Yondr pouch, otherwise you were not allowed entry. They locked then on the way in and they only unlocked in a separate designated phone zone.

Was brilliant to see no phone screens glaring
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    edited February 2019
    The only time they are acceptable is when the band come on later than expected and you have to go to work the next day. Hand your phone to a mate, then get the bus home and you’ll be in bed by 10 and you can catch up on YouTube the next day..... 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/143267/is-this-acceptable-behaviour-by-a-live-act/p1

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Soon you’ll be able to mix the gig whilst recording it on your phone .... oh wait a minute http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/142693/don-t-like-the-mix-at-a-gig-problem-solved#latest
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    We can't be far away from the technology that would allow a venue or band to disable the camera or video app of every smart phone in the vicinity?

As someone who's wife works in a secondary school, it would also be handy for the school to be able to disable all apps (apart from maybe the calculator) during lesson time. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Rocker said:
    Amazing to see people viewing a concert, presumably recording it at the same time, through their smartphone. Much easier to put the phone away and look at the stage where it is all happening.  I saw John Fogerty in Dublin recently and was staggered to observe patrons recording parts of the show on their phones while ignoring what was going on onstage.  I suppose they upload these files to Social Media. Much better IMHO to watch and enjoy the show.
    I think people are more interested in themselves - record a bit and upload to Twitter and Facebook and say .. look at me .. look at my status update.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    I generally only record gigs on my phone if I know other Fretboarders are there...

seriously though, it's a bit daft.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...