Anyone got a work shop?

I'm making a little 2w Trainwreck combo and need to cut some sheet metal / a chassis in order to fit it.
Don't have the tools to do so but figured some nice gent here might help me out for a few quid...
Anyone got something that can cut lines and holes in aluminium?
1979 Tokai TE-85
1980 Tokai LS-80
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    Did it myself with a Dremel and a hammer
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Aluminium is easy to cut if you’ve got a means of holding it steady. You’ll need:
    a sharp point for marking out
    a drill for the holes
    a hacksaw for cutting
    a file for tidying up the rough edge. 

The problems you’re likely to find are:

Can’t see your marked lines. Text book is to use Engineer’s Blue, which is an alcohol based dye to colour the metal. You can use a felt tip pen. 

Rough edges. Cut outside the line, and file up to it

The cut is too long for the hacksaw frame. There are several solutions. A coping saw has a bigger frame. An electric jig saw, or Dremel, which doesn’t have a frame. Sacrificing the off cuts by cutting them away in sections. 

If the the holes are larger than your largest drill then you can use a round file, or round sided file, to enlarge them. 

If if you have to bend aluminium then score heavily along the bend line, then clamp wooden battens along one side of the bend. This gives a straight bend in the right location. I use a piece of wood between hammer and metal to stop the aluminium buckling, and to stop the hammer marking the aluminium. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.