DRRI reverb tank placement for minimum hum

noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
Out of curiosity I took the tank out of the amp (still connected) and noticed the reverb circuit is quieter when turned up.

The ‘stock’ screwed down position of the tank is dead centre on the bottom of the cab, with the rca sockets facing the front grille and the white connector nearest the 6V6’s - is it advisable to move it to one side/back/forward?

I’m noticing that anywhere above 3 on the reverb there’s an audible hum (at home volumes) - is that normal for a valve driven reverb? I’ve tried swapping recovery valves and that doesn’t seem to make a difference.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    With the open side of the tank facing downwards and the RCA jacks facing the front of the amp puts the return transducer as far from the power transformer as possible, so that's correct.

If you can find a better position in the bottom of the cab then simply screw it down there instead - but some hum is inevitable, the return transducer is essentially a single coil pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited March 2019
    Cheers John - I’ve put it back where it is for now, just good to know that hum is normal. It’s only noticeable at home anyway. I suspect it may even be picking up some power source from the room, as my Strat and tele also hum a bit unless they’re exactly perpendicular to the floor. Must be something under the floorboards - maybe ceiling lights in the room below, mains cable under the floorboards, who knows.

At some point I’ll probably replace the accutronics tank with a deeper sounding TAD one.