Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Weld (1991)

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
Weld - one of the truly great live albums (a double), this was my first exposure to Neil Young. Our local library had cassettes you could take out back in the day and I grabbed this in 1991 not knowing who he was apart form a name I'd heard about...I took the cassette back a week later and then bought the album. Love the songs and tones and have ever since.

When I finally got to 'see' the video I was a little shocked and how cheesy it seemed. The fake massive amps are a brilliant stage set as is the giant microphone, but the audience look well odd, but seem to be loving it! Neil's haircut is, well, you have a look...

It's weird how the band seem to crowd together on the large stage but I reckon it was the concert film director's instruction as they only had a few cameras and grouped up they could all get in a lot of the video shots.

Anyway, I love the album and many of the songs are exceptional live versions and you can't dispute Neil Young's passionate performance.

Hey Hey My My (Into The Black):

Cortez The Killer:

Bonus: 

Neil Young with Pearl Jam - Rockin' In The Free World from 1993 MTV Awards

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Cortez the Killer from Weld is one of my fav ever guitar moments, and fav tone moments - just epic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    dindude said:
    Cortez the Killer from Weld is one of my fav ever guitar moments, and fav tone moments - just epic.
    Agreed, it really is stunning, I love the delay on his guitar and the just brimming short of feedback subtle notes, love it!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    That was also my introduction to Neil’s music, and still a firm favourite. 

The huddling together thing is seen in earlier stuff, like Rust Never Sleeps from the 70s, so just how those guys play together. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    I love this album too, but never seen the video footage before... It's very bouncy isn't it!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    dindude said:
    Agreed, it really is stunning, I love the delay on his guitar and the just brimming short of feedback subtle notes, love it!
    It’s also the bridge overtones you hear from the Bigsby, In all my attempts to get near to the sound, it’s the offsets that I’ve owned that get closest (I dont do Bigsby), they have a similar clipped overtone.

Re the haircut, combined with the t shirt almost falling off, he looks a bit like the Incredible Hulk - only the green hue is missing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    dindude said:
    dindude said:
    It’s also the bridge overtones you hear from the Bigsby, In all my attempts to get near to the sound, it’s the offsets that I’ve owned that get closest (I dont do Bigsby), they have a similar clipped overtone.

Re the haircut, combined with the t shirt almost falling off, he looks a bit like the Incredible Hulk - only the green hue is missing.
    He does! LOL

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Live Rust wasn't bad either!

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited March 2019
    I butchered "hey hey, my my" at tFB gig two weeks back. 

...sorry to all witnesses 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    It's a great album. I always wanted the ltd edition one with a disc of feedback. That would be useful for dealing with my techno-loving neighbors..
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    'Cortez The Killer' sounds like a 13-year-old learning how to solo for the first time with his garage band jamming a simple progression in the background.

So why is it so... fucking awesome???!?

Legend has it that it's Alan Sparhawk's favourite song ever to cover... he has played it with Retribution Gospel Choir and/or some of his other strange collaborations in the bars of Duluth sometimes, if you are lucky enough...
    :) Whitecat said:
    'Cortez The Killer' sounds like a 13-year-old learning how to solo for the first time with his garage band jamming a simple progression in the background.

So why is it so... fucking awesome???!?

I'm assuming you're taking the piss, so I'll ignore you.

If you're not taking the piss, I'll ignore you.

edited March 2019
    I am not taking the piss. I believe it sounds exactly as I described it. And I love it, still one of my favourite guitar parts of all time, which is why I said it was fucking awesome. That part was rhetorical.
  • I got into NY much earlier, Everybody Knows this is Nowhere was my first taster. He has been a firm favourite ever since. Think I have everything he’s ever done more or less. Weld is a superb live album.

My favourite album of his is On The Beach closely followed by After the Goldrush

• Whitecat said:
    I am not taking the piss. I believe it sounds exactly as I described it. And I love it, still one of my favourite guitar parts of all time, which is why I said it was fucking awesome. That part was rhetorical.
    Just the intervallic qualities alone of that solo say to me that it ain’t no 13yo learning to play fella  :#
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Love the live version of Cortez the killer .. I don't get the hate for Young ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!

Whitecat said:
    Just the intervallic qualities alone of that solo say to me that it ain’t no 13yo learning to play fella  :#
    The off-timing and the pentatonic mire say otherwise to me. Maybe “Cinnamon Girl” was the limit of his prowess. 

Defend him all you like - I think he’s amazing, but not a gifted guitarist. That didn’t matter for the kind of stuff he made. It’s perfect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Whitecat said:

Whitecat said:
    The off-timing and the pentatonic mire say otherwise to me. Maybe “Cinnamon Girl” was the limit of his prowess. 

Defend him all you like - I think he’s amazing, but not a gifted guitarist. That didn’t matter for the kind of stuff he made. It’s perfect. 
    I’m not defending him. I know you’re a fan too and understand where you’re coming from. 

He he is a gifted guitarist though. Acoustically he’s brilliant  B)
  • I absolutely love Neil's guitar tones especially Cortez The Killer,  I also enjoy the likes of Doug Martsch/Built To Spill who are of similar ilke, they are one of the best live bands I've seen
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    I love the guitar sound on Cortez The Killer, but it's a shame it's such an appalling song! Utter bollocks about the Aztecs as some sort of peace-loving hippies, when in fact they were one of the most violent civilisations in history, actually worse than the Spanish. Regardless of what else he's trying to say, it's just drivel... and I'm a huge fan of his music and a lot of his songwriting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited March 2019
    All I have to say is username.         Simples.