Rock Vocalists

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23022
    Floor Jansen.

She doesn't just do Nightwish...and she's probably one of the most talented and versatile singers out there.
    I've got - and like - the two ReVamp albums but I've never really listened to her other projects.  Not a massive fan of Nightwish but she's great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26703
    Philly_Q said:
    Floor Jansen.

She doesn't just do Nightwish...and she's probably one of the most talented and versatile singers out there.
    I've got - and like - the two ReVamp albums but I've never really listened to her other projects.  Not a massive fan of Nightwish but she's great.
    I'm not a great fan of the studio stuff she's done with them, but the album of her first Wacken show with them is absolutely incredible. Ghost Love Score from that show is basically a masterclass in vocal versatility.
    <space for hire>
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    Philly_Q said:
    Floor Jansen.

I'm not a great fan of the studio stuff she's done with them, but the album of her first Wacken show with them is absolutely incredible. Ghost Love Score from that show is basically a masterclass in vocal versatility.
    Alas the material written for her since she joined hasn't Nightwish hasn't been great. She's a phenomenal talent and deserves better.

This performance of Ghost Love Score from Argentina is even better than the Wacken version. The really powerful high bit at the end is really hair raising. 

• That Wacken show is unbelievable. 

This is is a fairly old cover but she does it great 

https://youtu.be/EpxOKueE-_0
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Philly_Q said:
    Layne Staley was mentioned, he was great but I always thought the real magic of the band was him and Jerry Cantrell singing in harmony.  I also like the way Doug Pinnick and Ty Tabor combined on the early King's X albums.

Richie Kotzen is a great singer, I think I like his voice better than his guitar playing.
    I'm as big an Alice in Chains fan as there is, and wouldn't disagree with this. Layne's voice is incredible BUT the vocal harmonies with Cantrell are the real showstopper. 
  • matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179

Mark Lanegan. I enjoyed this Mad Season song with Layne Staley.

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I really liked Dio, sadly no longer with us.

Modern, hmmnn ..... probably Myles Kennedy for me. I also really like Khan who used to sing with Kamelot, a very rich, dynamic voice.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    If the Stereophonics qualify as a rock band my vote goes to Kelly Jones, not really a fan of the band, but what a voice.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Paul Rodgers is still rocking it, I saw him live in Portsmouth and he was fantastic.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9836
    proggy said:
    If the Stereophonics qualify as a rock band my vote goes to Kelly Jones, not really a fan of the band, but what a voice.
    You know what, I nearly said pretty much exactly this but thought I might have been on my own with that one. Some of the bands songs are ok but his voice specifically is excellent, it's perhaps a shame artistically that he's stayed within dad rock with the band though of course he's done rather well out of it. Maybe he should do some solo projects that's push his voice a bit more.

His cover of Nothing Compares To You walks all over Cornell's (and I'm a fan of Cornell)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    proggy said:
    You know what, I nearly said pretty much exactly this but thought I might have been on my own with that one. Some of the bands songs are ok but his voice specifically is excellent, it's perhaps a shame artistically that he's stayed within dad rock with the band though of course he's done rather well out of it. Maybe he should do some solo projects that's push his voice a bit more.

His cover of Nothing Compares To You walks all over Cornell's (and I'm a fan of Cornell)

I couldn't agree more, and I'm also a fan of Cornell.

proggy said:
    Bland boring non-rock band without a single pair of balls between the lot of them... but he does have a great voice.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    Too bloody long ago I saw a support band at the Marquee, Liaison. I remember next to nothing about them now but I do remember the vocalist being bloody astounding. I think his name was Howard.
    Philly_Q said:
    proggy said:
    Bland boring non-rock band without a single pair of balls between the lot of them... but he does have a great voice.

I'll take your word for that Philly, I saw them once supporting Aerosmith at the old Wembley stadium, but they all had clothes on.
  • Glenn Hughes...
    Dean Castranova..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Neil Young and J Mascis.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 992
    zepp76 said:
    Paul Rodgers is still rocking it, I saw him live in Portsmouth and he was fantastic.
    Really like his voice.  Also, Steven Tyler & Janis Joplin deserve a mention 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Steve Marriott.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    duotone said:
    zepp76 said:
    Really like his voice.  Also, Steven Tyler & Janis Joplin deserve a mention 
    miserneil said:
    Steve Marriott.
    They're definitely not "out there today".

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    In heavy metal

JB from Grand Magus
    Brian Balich from Argus
    Jake Rogers from Visigoth
    Brendan Radogan from Rival Mob/Stone Axe/Pagan Altar/ Magic Circle/Battle Ruins/Torture Chain