10 Questions We Ask Everyone

What's Hot
14567810»

Comments

• Okay ...

1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    Gibson SG Standard purchased June 2014

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? 
    The nearest to hand.

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? 
    Gibson SG Standard made in 2013.

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? 
    All done purchasing, but a different amp might suit the SG. A Victory Baron?

5: What strings do you use? 
    Currently sporting some D'Addario NYXL1046BT 10-46 strings. These really suit the SG, but have used Rotosound and Ernie Ball in the past. I'll stay with the D'Addarios.

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be? 
    LOL, what recording? I want to play, not waste time faffing about with microphones, recording equipment, levels, false starts, external noise, computers, editing, etc etc.
    If I had recorded myself, I don't think I would change anything. Recordings are a snapshot in time, like old school exercise books, it's part of progression to the next stage. Why waste time altering the past when the future is there to be formed?

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage? 
    Onstage? What's that? But I guess I'd be bricking myself silly.

8: ...And five minutes after? 
    No idea ... possible packing up my kit to a background of silent awe.

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage? 
    As a stage hand, it was waiting whilst my colleagues got their shit together to do what they should have done, and the audience looking on because the curtains were open.

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? 
    Don't wait 32 years to start playing guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 170
    edited December 2016

I was given some no name classical guitar in about 1983. I had some leassons at school, but the action was massive and my hands too small, I was only 7. First proper one that I actually learnt stuff on was a Fender Gemini acoustic in 1990 for my 15th birthday.

Probably my first electric - 1987 Squier Strat for sentimental reason. All the others are replaceable.

1987 Squier Strat

Some pedal that I don't really need no doubt

For my Strats GHS 10.5-48, for Jazzmaster/Telecaster Ernie Ball 11-48, for acoustic Martin 11s

Get a better drum sound!

Trying to ignore my band mates stressing out.

Roadying.

Some bikers once threw a bottle at us beacuse we dared a chord change. I also allowed myself to be involved in some horrific on-stage jams in my youth involving All Right Now, Hey Joe and Stairway to....  o

Stop wanking (on the guitar that is) and start writing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Here goes!

The first guitar I owned was a Squier nylon - string 3/4 acoustic, which I received from my parents on my 10th birthday. Still have it!

What's currently in my hands: a '64 SG Junior. 

That SG junior is the oldest guitar I own!

GASing hard for a Mosrite à la Johnny Ramone just now. Either that or one of those AV '52 telecaster reissue models from Fender. 

D'Addario, 11-49 set!

Since recording an EP in April, I've come up with lots of variations on riffs that would potentially work better. Oh well, that's what playing live is for!  ;)

Relaxing at the bar. 

See above. 

I had a strap button come loose and a guitar go crashing to the ground, during the second song. Luckily no damage and I had a second guitar handy!

Keep practicing!
  • mpsa01mpsa01 Frets: 11

An Aria superstrat. I got it two weeks into university. It was a nice playing guitar but didn't last very long before I moved it on.

My '96 Les Paul Studio

My '96 Les Paul Studio

Another reverb pedal (Red Panda Context) or another Verellen amp

Elixir 10-46

I'd like there to be more raw Marshall tone on our last EP, it sounded a bit polite

Telling my frontman to stop asking me banal questions about what he should say in between songs

Loading out as quickly as possible so I can kick back

When I was in a crowd at a hardcore show a few year ago, the frontman threw me into the kick drum. There was no skin on the outside of the drum, so I ended with my head inside a kick drum, with no earplugs. Sore.

Get into a practice room with other people earlier, learn to play and write with others as quickly as possible.

• 1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    Really horrid EKO acoustic with 1/2" action, bought for £35 (>1 weeks wages!) in 1977.

MIJ strat that I bought new in '89.

Early 70's Dynelectron copy of a Danelectro Guitarlin - owned since '78.

Roland GR55

DR for electric and Newtone Heritage for acoustic.

More relaxed playing and less worrying about the fact that I'm recording.

Chatting with the guys & making sure the guitar is in tune.

Tearing down.

Sound cutting out suddenly due to faulty lead.

Experiment and enjoy yourself - don't worry about those who don't like what you do.

It was a no-name Jazzmaster-looking guitar, tobacco burst, three chrome covered pickups, 4 thumb-roller switches, and a couple of knobs.  The scratch plate was also chrome.  Got it in 1980 at a pawn shop in Swansboro, NC for $20, and a small unknown brand of tube amp for another $12.  

Byrdland

1976 Telecaster signed by Danny Gatton, Bill Kirchen, Link Wray, and Evan Johns.

Jaguar. But I think I need to learn to play what I have already.

10-52 on most electrics, some have 9-46. I'm not particular on the brand.

less cussing

Wondering where the band has slipped off to?

Waiting in line to piss.

Opened for Ronnie Dawson, nervous, broke two strings in the course of the gig, the bass player broke one of his, my guitar came unplugged twice, my cabinet came unplugged once.  A Homeric clusterfuck.

Find a teacher!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I've been around here for over a year now and somehow neglected to do this so here it goes...

An Ibanez GSA60 on New Year's Eve 2014. Fantastic first guitar and I'm so glad my parents talked me out of buying a BC Rich Warlock...

Either the GSA60 for sentimental reasons or my PRS SE Custom 24.

Currently the Epiphone Les Paul 7 string I'm trying to sell as it's a 2000, but after that it'll be my GSA60 (2013/14). I did own an Aria Pro II SB700 from the 1980s but sold that a while ago.

Some kind of singlecut like a Gibson Les Paul Studio or PRS SE Zach Myers

I don't have a strong preference but it is mainly a combination of D'Addarios and Ernie Balls. I used to use Dean Markley but my local shop doesn't sell them and I see no real benefit over D'Addario and EB.

I've not released anything, but listening back to a lot of my recordings the timing is atrocious... 

I've only performed live a couple of times but I often deliver presentations so probably a similar routine to that; run through the structure of the "performance" in my head a couple of times, perhaps do some sort of quick warm up, then go and mingle with a few other people in the vicinity to relax myself more.

Talking to any friends or family who are there whilst drinking a diet coke (no ice, sensitive teeth ya see) as I presumably will have driven :smile: 

One of the few times I've performed was a short acoustic set at uni alongside my friend who sang and played. It was great fun but our timing was out, then when she signalled to the sound desk to turn her mic up, they turned my guitar down. Certainly didn't help us get our timing in sync!

Please for the love of god, actually do the exercises your teacher gives you, and play them WITH A METRONOME. And I know you like your metal and hard rock, that's great, but widen your horizons earlier on so you don't have to play catch up on the many other awesome genres 12 years later.
    Aria Pro 2 Knight Warrior from a little guitar shop on Brook Street in Chester in about 1997. I'm pretty sure it's still under a bed somewhere at my parents house. I dread to think what state it's in!

My ACG Reiver prototype. They're just gone into production under the name of Reiver Guitars and with different pickups so I'm pretty sure it's the only one in existence.

Having sold my 1976 Ibanez Les Paul a few years ago, it's probably my Japanese Jazzmaster I dated to about 1998.

I'm in that weird position where I don't actually want anything! Maybe a decent in ear monitoring system for my bass so I don't have to lug an amp around.

Ernie Ball 10's. They stay in tune and sound great so I've never really tried anything else.

I made a flub (thankfully in key) and was too tired to notice when listening back, so it made it onto the album. Not happy about that one.

Normally being annoyed at how late everything is running.

Either packing down and getting stuff offstage or relaxing somewhere quiet.

Hung around all day to play and then had an awful buzz through my amp, rendering it useless. Everything was very late and with 20 minutes before curfew, there was nothing to do and we had to cancel with the whole band onstage having not played a single song.

Don't wait 15 years to learn some theory!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LeaskyLeasky Frets: 4
    Got a Marlin Sidewinder, a start copy with the biggest head stock in the whole world. Bought it for £40 back in 1993.

Probably my Gibson Les Paul... largely because at the moment it is the only one in my house.. it's a Studio so nothing special but I like it. I have guitars distributed around most of London for just this type of disaster.

94 USA Strat Deluxe Plus. Nice guitar and everything but I play HB equipped in the band I am in.

A replacement for my HD500x which has packed in. Not sure what yet.

Ernie Ball 9's on strat scale (ESP and Schecter) and 10's on my LP and PRS SE.

Everything! Timing, tone, solos the lot. I am never really satisfied so I try to leave them alone.

Trying to find the singer.

Trying to organise a drink and being annoyed that I hit some bum notes whilst smiling at people.

Being so ill I fell asleep against a amp stack.

You will never be as good as your hero's so don't beat yourself up about it and get on stage sooner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

1975 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop in 1986.

Blackmachine B6

1959 Gibson Les Paul Jr.

An Axe-FX or a Kemper.

Ernie Ball or Dean Markley usually.

The first thing I ever recorded had screaming feedback between everything and I wish it wasn't like that.

Furiously picking and warming up my hands.

Drinking either a beer or a mixed drink and a bottle of water simultaneously.

Gambled and lost.  In other words, letting out a fart that you realize too late isn't a fart.  That's right, diarrhea. 

Don't doubt your skills or your ability to achieve absolutely anything you want.  And be careful farting on stage.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    A classical guitar. Not sure of the brand as it's in my parents loft.
    It was bought for £40 in 1980, I was 9.

My classical

Aforementioned classical

A Cornell Plexi with a 12 inch speaker.

On my gretsch, strat and tele it's Ernie Ball. The packet with top light, bottom heavy. I am trying the super light strings Billy Gibbons endorses, Rev or something, on my P90 loaded LP.  My 58 Custom Shop LP has Gibson LP strings, 11 on top.

I recorded a solo with the amp in a steel bath. Said amp was a very, very old Supro, guitar was a 58 custom shop LP. I was asked to get a Brian May sound, crazy with that rig, but it came out country and chicken picking. As a result it was pushed back in the mix. My change is to bring it forward. It was a cracking little solo.

I don't play onstage. My role is recording only. The last time I played on stage was in 1985, I was 14, and quite simply was panicking.

Probably trying to calm down!

Nothing.

Bin the plectrum. I learned playing classical and have never quite got on with picks. I should have binned them years ago. I rarely use one these days.
  • Dan_QDan_Q Frets: 1
    I "borrowed" the family classical for a year or so then saved up for my 1993ish sunn mustang (new). Still rock it today but i wore the neck out and it now has a squier one and fender electrics (HH).

My 90's MIJ strat.

I have a 1970's Kay SG. Probably because I did something terrible in a previous life, and this is punishment. If anybody wants to buy it PM me, as this spring I may put it on the chimenea.

If I end up regularly Jamming I'll need a bass amp that can keep up with a drum kit. I currently rent one.

6 string> d'addario XL 10's, rotoreds (11's)
    bass> d'addario XL light top / medium bottom roundwounds or XL chrome super light flats

To actually make a recording exist I guess.

It's been 20 odd years, back then would definitely have been a cigarette.

Pint.

Bassist's amp gave up.

Lessons / real music ASAP. Still not done either.
    Well I "borrowed" my brother's Kay Les Paul copy, but my first own guitar was a Yamaha RGX312.

My Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele.

Still got the Kay Les Paul somewhere.

Thinking about getting A Squier Bullet Mustang or a Katana amp.

D'Addario regular 10s. Not that fussy to be honest.

Haven't done any proper ones.

Never played live, apart from in an orchestra with my French Horn!

See above.

See above.

Get some proper tuition.

A really cheap non-descript 3/4 size acoustic in 1982

My Taylor 314ce which is currently being delivered

1980s Epiphone PR350s Acoustic .

That's the Taylor above.

Not fussy

The playing. I only have one recording on my iPhone and it is the thing that spurs me on to learn properly

If it ever happens, I would imagine I would be puking!

Drinking beer

In the school play when I was 6. I played Santa and forgot to give one girl a present. Cue bedlam on the stage much to everyone's amusement but my embarrassment. Yes, I know that's not what you meant.

Stick at it. Look for other people to play with and learn the theory instead of messing about.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 1. My first Woolworths' acoustic was so unplayable it barely counted as a guitar, so I'm proud to say it was a 1981 Westbury Standard (Matsumoku, DM Super Distortions) recommended by and bought from Bert Veale Music in Neath - still got it, still beats the crap out of most Gibsons I've played.

2. My '91USA Standard Strat - most versatile (and sexy) guitar ever made or ever will be (the Tele loses on sexuality)

3. 1981 Westbury Standard as above - will never be sold and not just for sentimental reasons (see comment on Gibbos)

4. I'd really like a Firebird....mini humbuckers of course (sorry about the Gibsons comments...)

5. 10-52, exact brand is irrelevant & overrated (though if Legacy want to sponsor me...)

6. Huh? You can record these things?

7. Peacemaking between the drummer and singer.

8. Peacemaking between the singer and the audience.

9. Having done an emergency pre gig "fix" on the bass player's borrowed Hiwatt head by wrapping the fuse in fag box foil, hearing and smelling the impending demise of somebody else's amp  (we were young and desperate - don't do it kids).

10. If you have a passion, feed and nurture it - don't let others put you off and don't make excuses.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 296
    Boosley and Hawkes classical - Christmas 1994

Andy Viccars LP Goldtop w/single P90

2001 Epiphone Casino - Turquoise

A burst replica

Ernie Ball pure nickel 10-46

Not sure, probably the sillly habit that I got into of string bending like Noel Gallagher.

Having a wee, then tightening my shoelaces.

Having a wee, then changing into my slip ons.

Played an open-mic in Worcester once, we tuned up our instruments 5 mins before going on stage then went to the bar for a quick re-order of beer. Went on stage and everything was horrendously out of tune, found out that a local twat had sneaked over to our guitars and untuned them to spite us. Bellend. We got booed off stage halfway into first song.

Don't break your left wrist, ever. The recovery time is agggesss and your playing sucks afterwards.
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar and Bass Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk
    Crappy Fender Stratocoustic... loved it though.

My 2014 American Fender Telecaster double humbucker.

Admira Classical

A Fender Strat

Ernie Balls

Too much stuff to mention!

Looking for a drink

Looking for another drink

Collapsing after being advised by surgeon not to play the gig and rushing to hospital for surgery. 

Start playing earlier.
    | American Fender Telecaster HH | Tom Anderson Angel Drop Top | Can help with amplifier based technical questions |
    Westone Thunder 1A in around 1984.

Charvel Model 5A

Tokai Goldstar strat copy from 1984

Maybe an octafuzz pedal

Ernie Ball 9s

I once did a good recording and about halfway through the input level clipped and ruined it.

If it ever happens, I'd be wondering what I was doing there.

Asking myself if that was some kind of dream

Realising it's not a dream

Play what you actually like rather than trying to follow the latest trends

• danlptdanlpt Frets: 1
    Fender Strat HH for my 13th birthday.

A tough one. I have 2 hands so i'd grab my Peal LP Custom and my Baja Tele. Cheating?

My Pearl LP Custom Copy. 70's but not sure of the exact year.

Hopefully a Nash Tele by the end of the year.

D'Addario NYXL 11-52

My bands first demos, when we had no idea how to even mic a cab up well.

Nerves, and warming up my fingers.

Tear down, beer, chase the promoter for out cut.

My 89 JMP went into melt down, no backup available. rest of the gig played with just one guitarist.

Turn that bloody gain down, you can sound big while still keeping a little clarity. You also don't need the highest possible output pickup you can find.
  • CostelloCostello Frets: 0
    Started learning on a cheap old Spanish nylon-strung acoustic, borrowed from my mum.

Borrowed my first electric too, from an old pal of my dad's. It was a 1960s 'catalogue' guitar - the make was Broadway. Had to get it re-wired by Dave Dearnaley before I could get a sound out of it! I think that's why I like worn-in guitars and have no problem with a nicely done relic.

The first guitar I actually owned came about a year later. It was a Tanglewood Santana (exactly what it sounds like - PRS copy complete with 'seagull' inlays). Still got it. One day when money is no object I'd like to get it refinished in a lighter finish and change the pickups and electrics. Hard to justify doing that on a mid-90s copy guitar though. 

My Les Paul Custom. 

The Les Paul Custom. 1977. Retrofitted with P90s - apparently in the Gibson factory, but I've never verified that. 

The Custom is a heavy beast, and I do like a bridge humbucker. So I would love a Huber Krautster ii, Springer Halfbreed or Hartung Junico - something nice and light, beautifully crafted but not blingy, with P90/bucker combination. 

10-46, usually Ernies. 

I'd get paid for it :-)

Thinking about the gig. 

Thinking about the gig. 

Totally forgetting what comes next!

Learn more theory. To which my younger self would be totally justified in responding, "Okay, *you* learn more theory."
  • The FretBoard Diaries (Video responses you didn't ask for!) is back! ;)

• 1) Jedson Les Paul Copy back in 1968

2) My 1994 G&L Special

3) Burns Sonic from the early 60's, in bits ready for restoration

4) Fender Hot Rod Deville

5) Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys

6) Yes, as above, improve on it

7) Rounding up the others!!

8) Head for the bar!

9) Dropped my AC30 down a fire escape, loosened the cab a bit but still worked OK when I switched it on next time

10) Encourage myself to read music
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5
    edited March 13
    I'm not new here although I'm far from a regular, so in honour of being back online I thought I'd go for it...

Ibanez RG507 in Jewel Blue, 1997 on the never never after playing my mates old Yamaha with a floyd copy. I wanted a Les but that would come later......

Les Paul Standard

CF Mountain and Co acoustic from the 70's

All good for now but probably a pedal or 3.....

D'addario 10-46 on the Les or Hybrid 9-46 on my Wolfgang copy.....

Most things as I was never involved in the mixing as my mate was a ****er, generally give them more life and more live sounding considering they were all one take and live......

Used to me smoking, then playing. Now just playing......

As above, drinking and smoking, now just drinking.....

Lead singer disorder......... (not me I hasten to add....)

Practice you procrastinating fool......

.....and what to my wondering eyes should appear.....      nothing.......

• DanjiDanji Frets: 0
    It would have been a secondhand nylon string, I cannot remember when, it would have been mid eighties.

My Taylor acoustic, it's not expensive, but I have racked a load of miles on it.

Ibanez PM100, I think it's 1996

A handbuilt acoustic, something like an Atkin.

Acoustic - Elixir 12s
    Solidbody - Ernie Ball 12s
    Archtops - D'addario Chromes 12s

I tend not to listen to anything that I have recorded for that reason.

Ciggie, then I wash my hands

Cig

Dropped my LP when tuning and snapped the headstock off

Practice more