Paypal - Advice sought

What's Hot
I know that this has been discussed at length on here many times but I'm hoping that the combined wisdom on here can clear this up for me.

I have a potential buyer interested in the Thermae I have for sale in the classifieds, hes contacted me here and on FB. Not going to name him, he seems like a decent dude and I have no reason to be suspicious of him. We are at a little bit of a stalemate when it comes to payment via Paypal.

As he is new the TFB and a stranger on FB I asked for Paypal gift. It was mny understanding that as a seller that is MY safest option? However from his POV it leaves him at risk, which I completely understand.

He's wanting to pay via Goods and Services and I assume take charges at his end but I seem to recall seeing on here that these payments can potentially be recalled? I assume it would be a refund case of somesort as opposed to just reversing the transaction but can you guys confirm if this is something that can actually happen or am I making an issue over nothing?

TBH I'm not up for anything that leaves me at risk at the moment. Had too many bad experiences selling online, lost out too many times and tbh just dont have the time to deal with trying to defend something that I'm probably going to lose against.

Anyways please point me in the right direction....
How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I usually pay by PPG, which goes against advice of forum Mods, I have no buyer protection, but I take the chance, I have not yet been disappointed......however as I understand it if I pay as G and S then I would get PayPal protection, receive the item and could decide I don't like it, tell PayPal it "wasn't as described" return the item and get a refund.......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    your shout I dont think its that unreasonable for someone to ask to use regular paypal if it makes you uneasy dont do the deal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    They can use regular PayPal, and I do sometimes with 'newbies', but he simply pays the extra 3.5% or whatever it is 
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    I recently bought an item from a Fretboarder and he was seeking PPG.  We came to a compromise, he invoiced me for G&S and inflated the amount to include the PP commission which I paid.  Everything went swimmingly and we were both happy.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    If he does use regular PayPal just make sure you send it by a legit tracked method - Royal Mail Signed For or Special Delivery will be fine. There is always a chance he can pull a fast one (he could claim he received a brick instead of a pedal, for example), in which case, that's trouble, but the majority of people are honest. 

Basically, you think that by him not agreeing to PPG he is trying to screw you, and he thinks that by insisting on PPG you are trying to screw him. It's a bit of a Mexican standoff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm the aforementioned buyer. The paid PayPal includes seller protection aswell though right? Surely it's more dodgy to buy from someone who insists on gift payment, as that's fully dependant on trust.

Has anyone been seriously burnt using regular paypal? Surely the worst is that they return it for a full refund and you're back where you started, no?
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    As other's have said, advise him if you go through the G&S method then it would have to be at the inflated price.  It's just a premium that he would need to pay for his peace of mind tbh.  
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    edited March 2019
    Dodlemcno said:
    I'm the aforementioned buyer. The paid PayPal includes seller protection aswell though right? Surely it's more dodgy to buy from someone who insists on gift payment, as that's fully dependant on trust.

Has anyone been seriously burnt using regular paypal? Surely the worst is that they return it for a full refund and you're back where you started, no?
    The worst thing that can happen is that the buyer says that the seller shipped them a box of rocks of approximately the same weight and size as the thing they intended to buy. PayPal will usually side with the buyer with this scam, although I suspect it's become so prevalent that maybe they actually investigate things more thoroughly now. It does become he-said-she-said though.

PayPal Gift offers no protection to either party but sellers don't really need whatever protection might have been offered anyway since the buyer has no rights through it. 

I don't think PPG should be permitted on forums at all, personally. My 2p is that you should work the cost of full-fat commercial PayPal into your asking price and offer a discount for cash on collection or bank transfer payment rather than the other way round. Otherwise it feels like an unnecessary tax.
  • Whitecat said:
    It's a bit of a Mexican standoff.
    It totally is! Though more like a Paranoid Standoff which doesn't sound, and isn't, quite so cool.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    @Dodlemcno thing is though the seller is a stand up member on here with a good track record
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Dodlemcno said:
    Whitecat said:
    It totally is! Though more like a Paranoid Standoff which doesn't sound, and isn't, quite so cool.
    And let’s be fair. I was the one who notified you that you wouldn’t be covered by sending it PPG.

Thanks to all who commented above. 
    How very rock and roll
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If we can't trust one another on the Fretboard, who can we trust?
    This is why society is falling apart and we'll all be driven to cannibalism.
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    To the OP: What's so important to you  about wanting the buyer to pay by Paypal Gift?

• heavyrockerheavyrocker Frets: 810
    seany65 said:
    To the OP: What's so important to you  about wanting the buyer to pay by Paypal Gift?

I assume it’s the fact the buyer can potentially open a case against you up to 6 months later and return the item for a full refund by making up some spurious reason for why it wasn’t as described. If you’re lucky you’ll get the item back undamaged and be out of pocket for the postal cost each way.

That’s the sole reason I wouldn’t accept it as a seller. I’m not a free gear lending library.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    For a £360 item, I wouldn't sell to a noob unless it was to my terms. Once the buyer has been on the forum for a while and done a number of lower value purchases and sales, and has some feedback then fine by regular paypal.
  • mgaw said:
    @Dodlemcno thing is though the seller is a stand up member on here with a good track record
    I'm a new member however so that doesn't help.

Dodlemcno said:
    Whitecat said:
    And let’s be fair. I was the one who notified you that you wouldn’t be covered by sending it PPG.

No, I looked it up. I brought it up because I've not been suggested that by someone I don't know before.

The paranoid standoff wasn't a dig - I am too! Not had this before but not bought a pedal this expensive like this before. I've actually got another seller of a Thermae with the exact same concerns!
  • Dodlemcno said:
    Whitecat said:

Thanks to all who commented above. 
    That wasn't a dig. It takes two!
  • MtB said:
    For a £360 item, I wouldn't sell to a noob unless it was to my terms. Once the buyer has been on the forum for a while and done a number of lower value purchases and sales, and has some feedback then fine by regular paypal.
    I am a noob to this community. But not to others. Or to buying online. I can link to my 100% positive eBay profile.

Or if there's an initiation ceremony here, what is it? I'll do it!
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Dodlemcno said:

OK, guys....go get the gimp.

;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Philtre said:
    Dodlemcno said:

OK, guys....go get the gimp.

;-)
    Gimps Sleeping