Microwave ovens. Why?

What's Hot

Comments

• m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    ICBM said:
    you don't need to worry about the scalding-hot-outside,
    You do need to worry about the scalding hot inside, cold outside issue though.
    Mince pies being a prime candidate, as my dad and his mate found out. My dad put a mince pie in for 30 seconds, and didn't tell his mate it had been heat up. He proceeded to pick it up and take a bite out of it thinking it was still cold as the crust was cold. I think he regained taste a few days later.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    great fun for putting kittens in or hamsters,Gerbils ,Guinea Pigs etc
    Puppies are better on a Bar b Q
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I don’t use a microwave, the only time I’ve ever used one as in uni but at home, nope.  I can reheat or defrost many other ways.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Kilgore said:
    Quick bacon sarnie.

It's not ideal but easier than washing a frying pan or waving a tea towel at the smoke alarm when you grill it.

Packets of microwave rice, two minutes, sorted.
    I'd rather eat nothing at all than floppy wet bacon. 
    Wrap it in kitchen towel, then microwave. Marco Pierre White tip and he's a proper cook, he's got tyre stars and everything! 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10271

I cook basmati rice in ours with good results.

You need to soak it in cold water first for about half an hour, then drain, rinse and put it in a bowl with enough water so that the level is about a centimetre above the rice,cover and cook on full power for around ten minutes.

Comes out perfect every time. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    ICBM said:
    Fuengi said:
    You'd put up with a monstrosity on your worktop so you can cook beans and steam fish quickly?  ;)
    No, it’s built into the cabinet above the old-fashioned oven. It’s not 1990 any more...
    Ah, the built-in microwave! A permanent, wall mounted bean warmer. Beautiful! 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    For a quick scrambled egg on toast breakfast they are good and reheating last nights Chinese. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    munckee said:
    For a quick scrambled egg on toast breakfast they are good and reheating last nights Chinese. 
    But why when you can make better eggs on the hob in barely more time than it takes to toast the toast?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    They are great for steamed veg, porridge and quick defrosting (depending on what it is you are defrosting).

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    If you time it right you can do perfect scrambled eggs in the microwave. I do add a touch of milk. 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    my wife insisted we need one 15 years ago. It's been quite useful keeping the cutting boards upright and the radio at an appropriate height but it hardly ever gets switched on. There's hardly anything that can be reheated in a microwave that cannot be reheated in a pot or in the oven (or if there is it may be something that we don't eat, or only prepare fresh). When we shut down our second home next summer the microwave will get thrown out and we won't notice it's missing. 

• I hate saying this, but ‘since getting the aga’ (the mrs had to have one or else) I don’t use it much. It’s hidden in a cupboard. My main use for it is to warm up coffee that’s gone cold. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I nuke everything. 

Then again I also drink tea cold. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    If you time it right you can do perfect scrambled eggs in the microwave. I do add a touch of milk. 
    Yes, I do that too.

Also great for steamed veg., boiled rice, tinned beans & soup and heating milk in the bottom of my mug for an instant coffee.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Scrambled eggs is the only thing I have found a microwave actually good for.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    munckee said:
    But why when you can make better eggs on the hob in barely more time than it takes to toast the toast?
    I find it's not the time it takes to cook the scrambled eggs, but the time it takes to wash the pot afterwards which gives microwaves an advantage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited March 2019
    Oh dear ... some delicacies suggested here in this thread - last night's chips? Chinese? Warm up sausages or microwaved fish? I'm worried for you fellas... 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited March 2019
    Microwaving eggs? Sacrilege!

skunkwerx said:
    I nuke everything. 

Then again I also drink tea cold. 

Just - no!
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    JezWynd said:
    I prefer vegetables cooked in the microwave. Don’t use it for much else, apart from heating milk for coffee. And poached eggs, though it’s a bit hit and miss for that but when it works they’re delicious.
    Right, stop the clock! What?! Poached eggs in the microwave...? You mean I don’t need several gallons of simmering water plus a dash of vinegar on the hob to make poached eggs viable?! Might have to research this further.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    Srsly guys, if you think you're getting good eggs from a microwave I feel sorry for you as you've obviously never had good eggs. And washing a decent non-stick takes literally 15 seconds. I do it almost every day.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires