Mott The Hoople gear auction

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
Lots of idiosyncratic stuff once owned by Peter “Pete” Overend Watts - loads of low end copies of Les Pauls too.

I'm sure @HarrySeven will be interested!

Quite surprised by the low estimates.

https://guitar-auctions.co.uk/catalogue-13th-14th-march-2019/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    longjaw said:
    Lots of idiosyncratic stuff once owned by Peter “Pete” Overend Watts - loads of low end copies of Les Pauls too.

I'm sure @HarrySeven will be interested!

Quite surprised by the low estimates.

https://guitar-auctions.co.uk/catalogue-13th-14th-march-2019/

Cheers! In principle, yes. But I’m not a fan of GH...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    A strange collection of interesting but not particularly collectible guitars, (a bit like much of my collection really).
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1344
    Not a brilliant catalogue by the usual standards, with a few interesting exceptions, but not enough to warrant the drive.
    In addition to the rather underwhelming Overend-Watts haul, a few guitars and momentos from the estate of Huw Lloyd-Langton of Hawkwind. Nice 74 LP custom. Very little high end vintage this time around, though.
    There is a mahogany bodied Bravewood strat, non relic, with a tempting £3-500 estimate.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Huw Lloyd Langton's old '74 Custom is more of interest to me. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    The careless way somebody has used their thumb to remove enough dust from the headstock to identify this as a Hofner before taking a photo and saying "NEXT".

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    stonevibe said:
    Huw Lloyd Langton's old '74 Custom is more of interest to me. 
    It looks pleasingly worn. Estimate is not nreasonable.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Hear's Huw's LP Custom and (very briefly) his Howard Roberts Fusion.

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Got to be honest, my reaction to the Peter Watts guitars was "he should have saved all his money to buy one nice guitar instead of 50 pieces of shit"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    There is some total tat in that auction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    edited March 2019
    Was going to go until last Friday for the eggles when gearbox went in the van! 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    what's the odds on Steven Seagal buying the Bukka White rezzie?
    Got to be honest, my reaction to the Peter Watts guitars was "he should have saved all his money to buy one nice guitar instead of 50 pieces of shit"
    Agreed, but If my memory serves me correctly, didn't he sell a 54 hard tail Strat for £40+k at auction a few years back. I guess this is the contents of his garage/shed/loft. It is a pretty motley selection. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    GuyR said:
    Agreed, but If my memory serves me correctly, didn't he sell a 54 hard tail Strat for £40+k at auction a few years back. I guess this is the contents of his garage/shed/loft. It is a pretty motley selection. 
    All the ‘good’ stuff, his White (now pink) Thunderbird, the famous Swallow Bass and the ‘54 Strat were either bequeathed after Pete died or sold at Bonhams last year.

Most of the GH lots are essentially the stuff that Pete had bought at boot sales or flea markets as stock for his second hand/antique/retro/weird and wonderful shop, The Dinosaw Market. I have great memories of seeing him in the local Hereford music shop Head, Hands & Feet with his latest boot sale find, getting it fixed up to be playable and saleable. 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Hang on a minute, @miserneil isn’t that yours ?
    miserneil said:
    GuyR said:
    All the ‘good’ stuff, his White (now pink) Thunderbird, the famous Swallow Bass and the ‘54 Strat were either bequeathed after Pete died or sold at Bonhams last year.

Most of the GH lots are essentially the stuff that Pete had bought at boot sales or flea markets as stock for his second hand/antique/retro/weird and wonderful shop, The Dinosaw Market. I have great memories of seeing him in the local Hereford music shop Head, Hands & Feet with his latest boot sale find, getting it fixed up to be playable and saleable. 
    All becomes clear. Thank you.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    This my favourite, ergonomically design for the more reserved guitarist!
    https://guitar-auctions.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/lot0026.jpg
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    miserneil said:
    GuyR said:

Ah that now makes sense.. I took a look and wondered why anyone would collect such a pile of rubbish!