Deutschland 83/86

I think we’ve referenced this a few times on here rather than it having it’s own Discussion. Looking it up it is three years since I watched Deutschland 83 so it’s a sort of real time TV show. Anyway, Deutschland 86 is on the 4 Player now and showing promise after I’ve watched one episode.

It's not a spoiler to say that they've moved the action from Germany to South Africa and Angola ( as that's all apparent from the off). I grew up with the end of the Cold War, Apartheid, the Angolan civil war as part of the background on the news without really knowing that much about them. History lessons at school took us up to around the end of the second world war and understanding contemporary events wasn't seen as important. Obviously this isn't a documentary about international politics of the 1980s but for anyone as ignorant as I am it throws in a few bits in the background. Anyway, if you like a bit if retro drama with subtitles something to catch up on.     
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited April 2019
    I know I'm talking to myself here but I wanted closure. Finally got to the end of 86 last night. Just not as tense as I remember the first series and the plot got very convoluted. Conceivably there could be an 89 but I'll perhaps not hold my breath waiting for 3 years.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    I loved 83, however 86 hasn't gripped me as much. I'm on episode four and haven't had the desire to binge watch it as i did with the previous series.

I'll no doubt finish it off in the next few weeks when i get the chance
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9615
    I need to check out 86 this long Easter weekend. 83 started off perfectly with Nena’s 99 Luftballons and just got better.