HX Stomp/Helix Unity Gain?

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 666
So since the HX Stomp (and the other Helix models) have the volume knob, when using the pedal in my chain and into my amp, the volume knob controls the overall signal volume.

This means that I’ve no real idea where my unity gain is, and the volumes between my pedals and any patches on the Helix are all over the place.

Any suggestions on the best way to resolve this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    Set the volume knob at full and work through your patches using a DAW db meter to check for clipping.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 666
    Slimbert said:
    Set the volume knob at full and work through your patches using a DAW db meter to check for clipping.
    I don’t have a DAW dB meter though
    Sorry, i hadn’t finished typing and somehow my message posted :(

Also, turning the volume up to max is way about unity gain, which means there’s a mid-match between the Stomp and my other pedals/amp channels
    30 day trial of Reaper is free. You'll just need a USB cable which are £2 delivered on eBay etc.

Set the volume knob to match your other pedals then go through your patches one at a time.
    Sorry...full version of Reaper is free for 60 days not 30.
    I don’t have a PC either, lol :(
    All hope is gone.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Slimbert said:

Set the volume knob to match your other pedals then go through your patches one at a time.
    This is what I want to do, but not against my other pedals, just against my dry signal from guitar to amp. Once I know where unity is, I can work it all out from there
    Wait...are you feeding your HX in to your other pedals at the other way around?

Are you playing in to an amp or to PA or to FR cab, etc?
    edited March 2019
    The Stomp is part of my pedalboard going into an amp

• On the Helix and LT on a blank preset I think unity gain is with the volume knob full up.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    On the Helix and LT on a blank preset I think unity gain is with the volume knob full up.
    Are you sure bud? I think it increases my signal quite a bit when it’s full. Even if I’m not using an amp block, delays etc all sound far too loud, like I’ve increased them in the mix
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited March 2019
    This is a comment from @Digital_Igloo (Line 6 Employee) on the Line 6 forum, maybe he could chime in on here.

If the VOLUME knob is maxed and your Merge > Mixer and Output blocks are set to unity, the signal should be unity all the way through (assuming you've set your Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Levels appropriately)
    That's what I thought it was. Turn it up full and you have unity. Then adjust your patches to match.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2441
    Make sure you’re outputs are set to instrument level. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    It's a thing with these sorts of devices. For example, Scott from the Helix channel on Youtube talks about how the final step when he designs patches is to take the Helix to the studio, play at live volume and match the levels of all the patches in the pack using a meter. If you have patches all based on different amps and/or pedals then they are going to end up at different volumes unless you have some consistent way to match them - and it is more obvious when you turn up than when you;re noodling at home. 

As folk have said, a level meter in a DAW is the common way to do it, if you don't own a computer (really?) then if you have an ios device and an ios audio interface there are DAWs and audio apps for that. Failing that get a cheap physical dB meter maybe? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    It's a thing with these sorts of devices. For example, Scott from the Helix channel on Youtube talks about how the final step when he designs patches is to take the Helix to the studio, play at live volume and match the levels of all the patches in the pack using a meter. If you have patches all based on different amps and/or pedals then they are going to end up at different volumes unless you have some consistent way to match them - and it is more obvious when you turn up than when you;re noodling at home. 

As folk have said, a level meter in a DAW is the common way to do it, if you don't own a computer (really?) then if you have an ios device and an ios audio interface there are DAWs and audio apps for that. Failing that get a cheap physical dB meter maybe? 

I know it's strange in this day and age, but my PC packed in last year at some point and I've never yet needed to replace it as I have an iPad Pro. I just don't have a lot (any) accessories etc for it.

I'll try checking the settings in the Stomp to begin with, then take it from there

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Make sure you’re outputs are set to instrument level. 
    This.  Sounds like they may be set to line level 
    Get yourself an iRig (or a cheap copy) for your iPad. Easiest way to do it with Apple gear.