New Band Prospect

monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
in Live tFB Trader
So the prospect of a new band presents itself. 

I'm getting a bit fed up of the perpetual disarray in my current band and it turns out that the drummer from an old band is quitting his current gig and a bass playing compadre is becoming free so provided we can find a singer there is a very real possibility of putting something fun together as well as, or instead of as I see fit.

This means I need to think what I actually want to do. I'm thinking possibly something a bit more in your face than my last band. Perhaps some kind of "rocked up soul" band. I'm thinking The Jam's version of Heatwave as a guide. 

What would you do forum types?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Loved that version of the song, liked the original too.

I reckon a set consisting of that kind of tracks would do well in the get em dancing stakes, that would means getting rebooked IME.

Motown, soul and funkalicious tunes done with variable dollops of rocking up would be ace and do well I reckon.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27495
    Enjoy it, whatever you decide to play.

Since "my" last drummer pulled a moody, I've barely played the guitar - even though I didn't love everything we used to play, at least there was a reason to learn new stuff, practice, and play as part of a band.  

Will you be needing a new guitar for the new band??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Well personally I would do what I always do which is form an originals band playing grungy/proggy-metal :D

To me it comes down to "What music do you want to be playing?" and going with the option that does that.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    johnnyurq said:

I reckon a set consisting of that kind of tracks would do well in the get em dancing stakes, that would means getting rebooked IME.

Motown, soul and funkalicious tunes done with variable dollops of rocking up would be ace and do well I reckon.
    I'm not much of a Motown fan and prefer The Jam version TBH.

Bands like Nine Below Zero and Dr Feelgood did a lot of that kind of thing as well ( if dissapearing up their blues-rock arseholes later on in their careers). The more modern reference who come to mind are Vintage Trouble - quite a sophisticated ( ie relative to the 3 chord bash approach) take on what a 4 peice soul influenced band can be.

I have occasionally thought of doing a Mod covers band. This isn't an original thought, I know,  but mixing up blue eyed soul, sixties, the Jam, the Who,ska,Britpop, Booker T,etc,etc, is quite a fun combination and there is a definite demand out there.

[pause]

Googles mod cover band:

£850 a night for one band doing this set list;I  have to say I would cross the road to avoid some of these songs coming but there are hundreds of others that fit -

The Small Faces - Sha La La Lee
    The Small Faces - All Or Nothing
    Madness – The Prince
    Madness – It Must Be Love
    Spencer Davis Group – I'm A Man
    Spencer Davis Group – Gimme Some Lovin’
    The Beatles – I Saw Her Standing There
    The Beatles – Lady Madonna
    The Who – I Can’t Explain
    The Specials – A Message To You Rudy
    The Specials – Too Much Too Young
    Georgie Fame - Let The Sunshine In
    Georgie Fame - Baby Please Don’t Go
    The Creation – Cool Jerk
    The Rolling Stones – The Last Time
    The Rolling Stones – Let’s Spend The Night Together
    The Sonics - Louie Louie
    The Beat – Mirror In The Bathroom
    The High Numbers (The Who) – Zoot Suit
    Frankie Valli – Beggin’
    Frankie Valli – The Night
    Les Fleurs De Lys - Circles
    Bob Marley & The Wailers – Simmer Down
    Toots And The Maytals - 54 46 Was My Number
    The Artwoods – Keep Looking
    The Jam - A Town Called Malice
    Shirley Bassey – Spinning Wheel
    The Yardbirds – For Your Love
    Booker T & The MGs - Green Onions
    Al Murray & The Cimarons - Morning Sun
    The Pioneers – Let Your Yeah Be Yeah
    Willie Mitchell – That Drivin’ Beat
    The Remo Four – Live Like A Lady
    The Kinks – David Watts
    The Kinks – Victoria
    The Animals – I Put A Spell On You
    The Animals – House Of The Rising Sun
    The Selecter – Three Minute Hero

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    TTony said:
    Will you be needing a new guitar for the new band??

A prize for the most dumbest question ever..........

Even dumber than when I was asked if I wanted a pint.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    johnnyurq said:

I'm not much of a Motown fan and prefer The Jam version TBH.

I have occasionally thought of doing a Mod covers band. This isn't an original thought, I know,  but mixing up blue eyed soul, sixties, the Jam, the Who,ska,Britpop, Booker T,etc,etc, is quite a fun combination and there is a definite demand out there.
    @EricTheWeary
    Me neither but like most music Motown has a few worthy gems and The Jam's version led me to to give the original a listen to be fair.

I loved their version of David Watts too.

Many times  have had similar thoughts for a band and still do, it would be awesome I reckon plus as you say it would do very well.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    @johnnyurq - Motown is one of those things that is supposed to be guaranteed good time, everybody loves it,etc,etc, but it's often just too saccharine for me. I'm sure there are Motown tracks I like ( there were a lot of them) but the covers often show the quality of the songwriting minus the big production and the ooh ahh backing vocals.

Perhaps we should all club together for a tonic suit and some bowling shoes for @monquixote to get him started. :ar!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.