Compensated Telecaster Saddles

jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
edited March 2019 in Making & Modding
I find myself wondering if any of the following telecaster saddles are definitely and objectively better than the others.

Wilkinson Saddles £7.75
Will the strings have a tendency to move sideways?
[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/Usmjfi2.jpg)

Slanted Saddles £7.95 
Likewise; one would think the strings would have even more of a tendency to move laterally with time
[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/AiIq8rT.jpg)

Gotoh In-Tune Saddles £17.99
The string grooves would appear to seat the strings firmly and minimise lateral movement.  Any other benefits?
[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/ZMwoDuG.jpg)

Expert opinions most appreciated...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I have the Wilky ones on several guitars with no issues....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    I’ve found the Wilkinson ones have an excessive stagger - it’s just as hard to intonate both strings accurately as it is with non-compensated saddles, just the other way round.

The angled saddles are better. I haven’t tried the third type.

The usual warning about brass still applies... it tends to develop grooves under the string pressure which can cause ‘sitar’ noises, and sounds bad anyway. Steel is much better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    Steel - wow I didn't know that...!  How about Titanium (which is of course much harder)?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    jaymenon said:
    Steel - wow I didn't know that...!  How about Titanium (which is of course much harder)?
    I’m not sure it is. I’ve never tried them.

Steel is hard enough anyway, because the strings are also steel, and actually typically the saddles are slightly hardened so they’re harder than the strings.

I really have no idea why brass has become the ‘desirable’ material - they have a whiny, grating midrange tone even if they don’t cause problems with indenting and buzzing. Steel has a much more even tone without the nasty midrange, and doesn’t wear.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    jaymenon said:

It depends on the type of steel and the heat treatment it is given, but the Steel may well be harder than the titanium.  I've just Googled and unalloyed commercial titanium has a Vickers Hardness Number of 160.  Various alloys and heat treatments can double that.  Mild steel has a VHN of 140, but high quality hardened steels can reach 900.  I doubt they are using mild steel for saddles so it may well be harder than the titanium. 

Titanium is a good material because it is light, and doesn't corrode, but if weight isn't an issue, you are still generally better off with a good quality steel (or stainless steel if corrosion resistance is important).

Steel vs brass is a matter of taste.  I know @ICBM likes steel, but I prefer brass.  I had a Tele with steel saddles.  I wasn't unhappy with the sound, but the intonation was horrible with the uncompensated saddles.  I put some compensated brass ones on to fix the intonation, and I preferred the tone of the brass ones.

Brass ones sound a bit warmer to my ears.  Teles aren't normally short of high end twang!  Brass ones can tame them a bit.

• Wilkinson do steel compensated saddles too, I have them on my Telemaster and they intonate fine.

I don't like brass saddles either, there's a nasty metallic overtone that I find unpleasant.

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2283

I've used all three and the InTunes are excellent - well worth the money. Strings stay in position, ring true with no hint of groove issues,  compensation is spot on, maintain vintage "straight look", age well. Only downside is the little allen key height adjuster less easy than screwdriver.

The Wilkies are a tad over compensated.

The standard anged Fender compensated brass are good, but i find the top E and B and slide toward the ends when my strumming s enthusiastic.

• rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Personally I find the Wilkinson ones and those kind of square ones to dig into my hand as I rest it on the bridge a lot.
    Jay, I know you're a man who appreciates fine bridge parts so I'd recommend Marc Rutters' saddles. Vintage look, hand milled and available with all sorts of options. Perfect intonation, I think they helped convert me to Telecasters. I mainly use the steel ones.

Of the three you posted I would go for the Gotoh. Have those on my thinline and they're good.
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk