Guitar and / or band reading

What's Hot
TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
Ok Chaps 

My stay in hospital is fast approaching, so what guitar and / or band related reading do you recommend?

I have broad musical interest so no particular genre, but would prefer them to be available in kindle or other ebook versions for ease of use, if possible.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I know zero about him, but he seemed like a genuine and interesting guy in the Defiant Ones documentary so I’ve just started the Springsteen autobiography Born To Run. Very well written so far. 
    Best of luck for the hospital stay!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    I've recently read the Johnny Marr autobiography 'Set the Boy Free', and the Roger Daltrey one 'Thanks a Lot Mr Kibblewhite'. Both are excellent reads.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    I quite fancy the Roger Daltry one, and apparently it sync's between audiobook and kindle which may be handy in hospital.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3989
    "The Daily Adventures of Mixerman"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Mick Wall’s Led Zep and Sabbath bios. Both excellent reads. 
  • 'Hell Bent for Leather' by Seb Hunter is absolutely excellent - it's nothing to do with Judas Priest, it's about his experiences of playing in a band
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6998
    Led Zeppelin: When giants walked the earth
    Keith Richards: Life
    Lemmy: White Line Fever
    Slash: Autobiography 
  • Play It Loud: An Epic History of the Style, Sound, and Revolution of the Electric Guitar Paperback – 14 Nov 2017

by Brad Tolinski (Author), Alan Di Perna (Author)

Available on kindle

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Mick Wall’s Led Zep and Sabbath bios. Both excellent reads. 
    Anything by Mick Wall.  His Axl Rose one is gold, and his own autobiography jaw-dropping.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Nile Rodgers autobiography is absolutely excellent. A second vote also for the Springsteen and Johnny Marr biogs. I recommend the audiobooks for both i got them as my free trial on Audible. Both read by the men themselves.
    Also, a little more left field would be Dazzling Stranger by Colin Harper - a biog of Bert Jansch and his contemporaries on the Brit-folk scene. Led Zeppelin Trampled Underfoot by Barney Hoskyns. All of Barney's music books are good - Hotel California about the singer songwriter scene, Across the Great Divide about The Band. 
    All killer.     
  • I quite enjoyed the Tommy Tedesco one. Confessions of a guitar player  I think it was called 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    One Train Later by Andy Summers is a brilliant insight into the Police’s rise to fame. It’s really well written - probably the best rock biog I’ve read.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited March 2019

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/151065/musicians-autobiography-recommendations/p1

Some ideas there. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/82876/

And one specific idea there ( there is a longer, more up to date Discussion but the search didn’t turn it up). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Good luck @TADodger ;
    Enjoy the reading
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I can lend you claptons autobiography Tim which is good. If you want I will pick up your strat and make sure it doesn't get lonely while your in : )

best of of luck mate. 
    Wow! Thanks for the suggestions, I might have to ask to stay in longer .....although I will have quite a few weeks recovering at home afterwards. @munckee I have decided to take the Strat in with me just to keep it feeling loved; well, it is the Strat or my border collie actually ;)
    @munckee where in hampshire are you. I have family in Chichester so could meet up at some time possibly?
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Both the Luke Haines books are outstanding, and another vote here for Johnny Marr. E from Eels did a great one called Things the Grandchildren Should Know, and both Guitar Man & Song Man by Will Hodgkinson are interesting reads from the perspective of an absolute beginner to both.