South West Jam - Factory Studios (Bristol) Edition - 8th June 2019

What's Hot

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Brocco said:
    @spark240 - have put you down for a solo performance of Cliffs Of Dover for being so naughty!
    Now...you know I only use that piece as a warm up ;-)...I couldnt possibly perform it in public. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6809
    FastEddie said:
    Brocco said:
    @FastEddie - there are so many great riff based songs (with no solo!) to choose from, I am sure we can get you up playing and enjoying it! Those of us who have been/still are in a similar place to you, can attest to the benefit of these jams, and the help and encouragement that the more accomplished players provide.
    Thanks. Feeling better about it. 
    Are there any songs you want to learn, even if it’s just the basic chords. We could learn the other bits of the song to support you in playing as a band. What sort of music do you like?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Psst... @FastEddie ...

Sit Down ... E E A B ...repeat until bored! ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    mrkb said:
    FastEddie said:
    Brocco said:
    @FastEddie - there are so many great riff based songs (with no solo!) to choose from, I am sure we can get you up playing and enjoying it! Those of us who have been/still are in a similar place to you, can attest to the benefit of these jams, and the help and encouragement that the more accomplished players provide.
    Thanks. Feeling better about it. 
    Are there any songs you want to learn, even if it’s just the basic chords. We could learn the other bits of the song to support you in playing as a band. What sort of music do you like?
    I can play a bit but have awful nerves. 
    I could do a less than passable Hendrix, Fire with a bit of brushing up...no solo's is my rule. A little riffage is enough.
    Brute Force by Rory is OK. Again, no solo just the riffage.
    I'll have a look at the songs.

My problem is the theory side. If you say "play it is E" then I am lost. I can learn, rinse, and repeat but the theory side has me lost right now.
    I'm waiting to get my new guitar tutor. He's currently fully booked and I am next cab. Hopefully he will square away my theory and I can get my confidence back.

My taste for this type of thing? Anything with rude guitars, and I am there. Not a fan of ballads but bold cleans and a bit of drive and I am tapping. 
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    FastEddie said:
    I can play a bit but have awful nerves. 
    Good. Performance anxiety suggests that you care.

FastEddie said:
    Brute Force by Rory is OK. Again, no solo, just the riffage. I'll have a look at the songs.
    Rory always welcome. Just need somebody to nail the Gerry McAvoy bass part and you can't go wrong.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    @robwright and @roberty, both local to Bristol, have kindly agreed to run point on venue liaison and live room equipment & recording respectively - huge thanks!

@spark240 and @Alnico have previously kindly offered to perform Master of Ceremonies duties (spark240) and run a Skills Workshop (Alnico) - again, this is greatly appreciated!

It feels so good to be involved in an event where attendees step-forward and participate in a way that benefits everyone - personally, I cannot wait for the 8th June!
  • @Brocco does that mean you don't need my recording rig etc? 

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    @Legionreturns - quite possibly the opposite, but will leave it to @roberty to pick up with everyone on the prior discussion as I have zero technical knowledge/ability!   
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited April 2019
    @Brocco does that mean you don't need my recording rig etc? 
    We're gonna need all the stuff I think. I've got two guitar amps and a C414 to contribute, and a stage condensor

Not sure what the studio provide in terms of backline and PA, @fandango is on the case
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    roberty said:
    We're gonna need all the stuff I think. I've got two guitar amps and a C414 to contribute, and a stage condensor

Not sure what the studio provide in terms of backline and PA, @fandango is on the case
    Ah, thanks for the reminder.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I’ll be bringing my Kemper to use...with a DXR 12 and another Kemper for you lot to try !

A couple of guitars, probably PRS 513 and a Gibson of some sort.

As before - if anyone fancies trying any of my others I can throw them in.

Rickenbacker 330 / 360
    Les Paul Axcess
    Explorer76 Ri
    SG 61 Ri
    EBMM super sports.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited April 2019
    Guitar-wise I'll probably bring my Les Paul Custom

If we need bass and acoustic guitar I've got a Martin D16 with an aftermarket pickup fitted and a Fender 50s P Bass that I'm happy to provide

Sounds like we need to source a drum kit and a bass amp.  I might be able to pull in a favour with a bass amp but not guaranteed
  • roberty said:

To clarify then, what I *can* bring, if required: 

Zoom R16 8 track recording desk
    12m snake with 8 inputs and 4 returns 
    Vocal mics and stands 
    SM57 plus stand for a guitar cab 
    Ashdown ABM 300w 1x15 Bass Amp plus Zoom B3n 
    Fender Bassbreaker 15 amp
    Katana 100w amp
    Every cable we could ever possibly need
    PA system comprised of 2x 1kw EV Evolve 50 array stacks
    Couple of monitors 

What I can't supply:

Drum mics (We will need at least kick and 1 overhead. If we use more I'll need to mix drums pre recording desk as we will have used all 8 channels. I do have a small mixer for this purpose) 

I only have one cab mic. Line out is fine if it's decent. 

Obviously if I bring all of that, it's a very full car. If others can cover amps that would make a big difference. I know the DI on the Ashdown and Katana are both good though. 

• roberty said:
    Sounds like we need to source a drum kit and a bass amp.  I might be able to pull in a favour with a bass amp but not guaranteed
    If the worst comes to the worst I have a decent, double mesh Roland Vdrums kit which sounds great on recordings and I use it through my PA all the time. 

I do also have an acoustic kit, but my breakables are shit. @mrkb has decent cymbals I think. 

Guys, let’s not go mad with bringing our own amps. The venue will provide both guitar and bass amps.

Factory Studios will also provide the drum kits, but drummers must bring their own sticks, cymbals and bass pedal/s.

I have just emailed Factory, but forgot to ask about drum mics. This wouldn’t have been a problem if we had the numbers to take the main recording studio, as this would come with plenty of mics..... yes, yes, okay .... I’ll go ask .....
  • I've got kick pedals

fandango said:
    Guys, let’s not go mad with bringing our own amps. The venue will provide both guitar and bass amps.

Factory Studios will also provide the drum kits, but drummers must bring their own sticks, cymbals and bass pedal/s.

I have just emailed Factory, but forgot to ask about drum mics. This wouldn’t have been a problem if we had the numbers to take the main recording studio, as this would come with plenty of mics..... yes, yes, okay .... I’ll go ask .....
    Won’t the drummer be bringing his own kit? Most good drummers will have everything they need to gig with.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    fandango said:

Won’t the drummer be bringing his own kit? Most good drummers will have everything they need to gig with.
    Breakables only is pretty normal for rehearsal studios IME (mostly in London)

That's cool then sounds like we have an easy life and can just focus on what we need for tracking
    Just got this from Factory Studios:

All rooms come equipped with PA's. Mics and leads are available from the reception (inclusive of room hire). The member of staff working that day will be able to help with setting up/levels of the PA.
    I’ve got a katana 100 head and Marshall origin 20 head that both have DI outs. Also have a e609 mic and low mic stand. Can bring if needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1