Wiring?

What's Hot
Hi anyone help me with a wiring harness I wanna build? Want the same setup as the new PRS Paul's Guitar switching which is 2 humbuckers, 1 vol, 1 tone, 3 way blade switch and 2 on/on mini toggles for individual coil split. Any one have an idea?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    edited March 2019
    Go go to this web page and then from the drop-down list choose the fourth from last option

https://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring-diagrams?meta_params=guitar-options,2-pickups,neck-h,bridge-h,1-volume,1-tone,3-way-blade,accessory-none

It shows the switching arrangement you want. In this case the example shows the switches being integral with push/pull vol and tone controls but the wiring will be exactly the same if you use two mini toggles and normal vol and tone pots.

NB the colours of your pickup wires may vary  from the diagram if you are using a different make of pickup but it should be fairly easy to work out which wire does what.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited March 2019
    Why not get the schematic directly from the Paul Reed Smith website Support pages?

CAPTAIN’S LOG SUPPLEMENTAL:
    As a long time former inmate at the Seymour Duncan User Group Forum, I must caution you that, when the SD schematic diagrams section was redesigned roughly five years ago, it became riddled with errors.

As far as the regular forum membership could tell, nobody had “proof-read” the diagrams thoroughly. Anyone with sufficient experience of guitar wiring to spot the errors probably did not need to lean on the official diagram resource to begin with.

Many a pleasant evening was wasted, explaining to newbies why, even though they had followed the online schematic diagram religiously, their precious project guitar did not work as expected. 

The errors in the online schematic diagrams were repeatedly reported to Seymour Duncan Incorporated … who did precisely zilch about rectifying the situation.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    The PRS schematic is here

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/results/b9dcbdc8dd89237bfdf56269df9a8539/

but it shows a three-way toggle switch and it's possibly not the easiest diagram to follow for anyone not comfortable with guitar wiring.

@Funkfingers are you saying the SD diagram I linked to specifically is incorrect? Or are you just generalising?
    Jimbro66 said:
    Funkfingers, are you saying the SD diagram I linked to specifically is incorrect?
    Yes, in the sense that the diagram that you recommend features a single push-pull switch to engage a simultaneous simple coil split of the two humbuckers.

The OP request is for independent coil splitting per humbucker. Hence, it requires two DPDT on/on switches plus the splits are probably partial, via capacitor/resistor networks.

Jimbro66 said:
    are you just generalising?
    Yes, again.

The online SD diagrams are peppered with random errors. (Some of the forum regulars derived amusement by playing spot the cock up. All part of the simmering contempt for the company's management since Seymour relinquished control.)

For whatever reason, DIY pickup installers seem to put greater faith in the online diagrams than the printed ones supplied in the product boxes.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325

The OP request is for independent coil splitting per humbucker. Hence, it requires two DPDT on/on switches plus the splits are probably partial, via capacitor/resistor networks.
    Actually it only requires two SPSTs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited March 2019
    True but I assumed that the OP will be using push-pull pots. Hence, one pole from each.
    True but I assumed that the OP will be using push-pull pots. Hence, one pole from each.
    He says mini-toggles in the first post ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Jimbro66 said:
    Funkfingers, are you saying the SD diagram I linked to specifically is incorrect?
    Yes, in the sense that the diagram that you recommend features a single push-pull switch to engage a simultaneous simple coil split of the two humbuckers.
    No it doesn't. Look again.

Frankly this is looking more like pissing contest than anything to help the OP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2019
    Jimbro66 said:
    Look again.
    Passive.
    Jimbro66 said:
    pissing contest
    Aggressive.

Interesting.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jimbro66 said:
    Funkfingers said:

No it doesn't. Look again.
    Actually it does...

It's not well-drawn, but that is a representation of a push-pull switch, as it says at the top.