NGD: new Blackguard Tele parts build '52 mash-up

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2300
Here's my new Blackguard type parts build. Built from Fender USA, MIM and UK parts, it's a '52 mash-up.

Body: a used AVRI '52 Hot Rod from 2007. I have the rest of the Hot rod '52 and it is married to lovely Lake Placid Blue body. It's not a lightweight body so the overall weight of this is just over 8 pounds or so.

Neck: Is from a used '50s Baja with new Gotoh tuners, I polished the frets, stripped most of the poly off the back and it is now satin smooth, with a new unbleached bone nut that I cut myself. I'm really pleased with this nut cut.. My best nut yet, precise,smooth slots really low but no buzz.

Pickups: Are used Oil City "49-er" bridge with a "Honky Tonk Angel". Early Broadcaster style, A3 winds. I think they sound fantastic. The bridge is big, nutty and twangy with tight bottom. Gritty mids and smooth top end. The neck is pretty bright and open. Most like the Custom Shop '51 Nocaster set, I suppose.

Guard: bakelite guard, sprayed and aged by me.  Other hardware us a relic'd vintage Pat Pending bridge with an early 50s vintage number stamp from some bloke on eBay. Used Gotoh InTune brass compensated saddles, aged by me. The nickel 50's style screws are from www.axecaster.co.uk

IMG_0730JPG

IMG_0732JPG

IMG_0734JPG
IMG_0736JPG

IMG_0741JPG
IMG_0748JPG

IMG_0751JPG

IMG_0753JPG
IMG_0760JPG

IMG_0761JPG
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Nice job and a good choice of parts. If it sounds as good as it looks......

HNGD :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    I can just hear in into a loud AC30. HNGD!
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Bloody lovely. Some guitars just look like they sound fantastic, if that makes any sense at all. That guitar looks like it sounds fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    Interesting that you chose to use the Baja neck over the hot rod for this build.  Looks v. nice :+1: 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9347
    Good work. Looks brilliant
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2300
    Interesting that you chose to use the Baja neck over the hot rod for this build.  Looks v. nice :+1: 
    Actually, the whole of the 52 Hot Rod was moved to a much lighter Ash body finished in thin Lake Placid Blue, leaving this one doing nothing. The 52 is cracking guitar and neck. I had the '50s Baja neck spare so put 'em together rather then let them gather dust. :) A very happy accidental marriage. it's still a tad heavy for my preference but not by much.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    You never forget your best nut.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited April 2019
    rze99 said:
    Here's my new Blackguard type parts build. Built from Fender USA, MIM and UK parts, it's a '52 mash-up.

Body: a used AVRI '52 Hot Rod from 2007. I have the rest of the Hot rod '52 and it is married to lovely Lake Placid Blue body. It's not a lightweight body so the overall weight of this is just over 8 pounds or so.

Neck: Is from a used '50s Baja with new Gotoh tuners, I polished the frets, stripped most of the poly off the back and it is now satin smooth, with a new unbleached bone nut that I cut myself. I'm really pleased with this nut cut.. My best nut yet, precise,smooth slots really low but no buzz.

Pickups: Are used Oil City "49-er" bridge with a "Honky Tonk Angel". Early Broadcaster style, A3 winds. I think they sound fantastic. The bridge is big, nutty and twangy with tight bottom. Gritty mids and smooth top end. The neck is pretty bright and open. Most like the Custom Shop '51 Nocaster set, I suppose.

Guard: bakelite guard, sprayed and aged by me.  Other hardware us a relic'd vintage Pat Pending bridge with an early 50s vintage number stamp from some bloke on eBay. Used Gotoh InTune brass compensated saddles, aged by me. The nickel 50's style screws are from www.axecaster.co.uk

I've never come cross spray painting/aging a pickguard. How did you go about that?
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2300

Hi

The original 1950s "blackguard" Teles had bakelite pickguards sprayed with nitro and then buffed to a deep gloss.

They wear out, like all nitro finishes, and get bald /dulled patches. That's part of the authentic Blackguard look for enthusiasts so I wanted to do it the old school way, not black glossy plastic.

I did a little post on this for the Telecaster forum, attached below. To be frank, you can pay about £50 for a finished nitro relic'd one and its hard to do it better/cheaper yourself. 

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/new-diy-nitro-finished-bakelite-pickguards-day.834385/