Is the Martin D-18 really worth £2300?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I adore my D18 from 2014 (i think), absolutely amazing guitar that just keeps getting better with age. It's pretty beaten up now and gets used all the time, and friends who have other beautiful Martins ask to borrow mine for sessions which is a good sign. Can't recommend them highly enough, I hope mine will be a companion for life! They are definitely quieter and more delicate than a 28, but the balance and tones are unbeatable for me, my favorite bit of wood.

When I bought mine I think it was around the £1800 mark new, but as the shop were fitting a jack input they used the wrong size drill bit and split the wood on the bass of the guitar, knocked a large chunk of money off and had it fixed perfectly by a luthier - was very good timing actually as I was having a coffee while they fitted it and going through the usual 'i cant afford this, i wonder if its too late to tell them i cant afford this', and then as I went back to the shop I was greeted by the bad/good news that it was now far more affordable than before. It was meant to be. Everyone needs a truly great acoustic that they can make their own. You won't go wrong with a D18 friend. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I generally prefer slope shoulder dreads for spruce/mahogany flat tops. But as has been said, a Martin D18, 28 or 35 is something very special indeed. 

It'll also save your life if you’re freezing to death and need something to burn. So, you know, it’s a no brainer really
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 661
    I saved up for ages for a D18 convinced I would love it and it would be my guitar for life.
    But no matter how much I tried to love it, I didn't,  and sold it a month later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    I saved up for ages for a D18 convinced I would love it and it would be my guitar for life.
    But no matter how much I tried to love it, I didn't,  and sold it a month later.
    So you had the guitar 4 weeks before you sold it?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Whatever the individual merits of the D-18, any acoustic guitar which sounds like a significant proportion of your favourite records and will last you the rest of your life is probably going to cost you at least a couple of thousand.

In the grand scheme of things it's one of life's genuine bargains, it's really only a question of whether you have the money available or not. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    p90fool said:
    Whatever the individual merits of the D-18, any acoustic guitar which sounds like a significant proportion of your favourite records and will last you the rest of your life is probably going to cost you at least a couple of thousand.

In the grand scheme of things it's one of life's genuine bargains, it's really only a question of whether you have the money available or not. 
    Exactly. For context, a d18 is currently the same price as a MacBook Pro, which will last a few years and then be largely useless. 

The guitar will keep giving for the rest of your life, and then your kids’ too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    A good D-18 is a wonderful thing.
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    Thanks for the replies.I played the Martin's again at the shop, and yes they were lovely instruments particularly the D28(reimagined), which had an almost orchestral sound and was a joy to handle.

The issue for me was I am just not worthy of them, I don't think an expensive Martin is going to magically transform my playing by sheer osmosis. The guitar shop were kind enough to let me test the d18 and D28 side by side with my Guild d-20(which cost half as much) and although the Martin's sounded slightly better than the Guild in terms of note distinction and clarity,I just felt that £2k could only be justified if and when I put in the work to become a more a more professional player.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Ted said:
    Thanks for the replies.I played the Martin's again at the shop, and yes they were lovely instruments particularly the D28(reimagined), which had an almost orchestral sound and was a joy to handle.

The issue for me was I am just not worthy of them, I don't think an expensive Martin is going to magically transform my playing by sheer osmosis. The guitar shop were kind enough to let me test the d18 and D28 side by side with my Guild d-20(which cost half as much) and although the Martin's sounded slightly better than the Guild in terms of note distinction and clarity,I just felt that £2k could only be justified if and when I put in the work to become a more a more professional player.
    You’ll get better quicker on a guitar you adore playing... 

I don’t buy the “not worthy” argument. Unless you make money playing guitar then any instrument over £200 is arguably frivolity, but if it’s something you enjoy and can afford I see no issue. A decent Martin will keep its value as well, after the initial chunk of depreciation when you leave the shop with it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448

Ted said:

People blow £2000 on the latest OLED TV and no-one bats an eyelid.  That will be rotting in landfill in 15 years time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    Ted said:

There's nothing wrong with the Guild D20.  

If you are able to pay for the guitar and owning it will give you pleasure then it doesn't matter if you are able to 'play' it well or not. 

If you are looking for something that sounds like a traditional Martin but want something a little more competitively priced, Furch make some excellent guitars. 
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 162
    If you can afford it just get the one you want. 
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    crunchman said:

Ted said:

People blow £2000 on the latest OLED TV and no-one bats an eyelid.  That will be rotting in landfill in 15 years time.

The point is how many hours do they get from it?
    3-4hrs a day is a lot over 10 years. Anyone who plays a guitar a similar amount will also not bat an eyelid at spending the 2.3k on one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom