How to impulse?

What's Hot
Got some Le pou amp models, and I want to try them.

So, it's a vst thing, go on reaper, load it up and add it to the track you want it on. Easy.

But how do you use cab sims? Do you need seperate software, or do you just download them, and use them as a vst type thing?

Noob alert :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    I find looking at the classifieds makes me impulsively buy things...oh, right, amp sims ;)

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    You need some software to use the cab IRs, lePou have one as well but it's only 32bit. I bought recabinet which was pretty cheap. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • You need some software to use the cab IRs, lePou have one as well but it's only 32bit. I bought recabinet which was pretty cheap. 
    Cool.  

I've downloaded torpedo wall of sound, which looks like it has everything all in one.  Maybe.  I'll experiment now :) 
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    *unhelpful anti-emulation advice incoming*

Buy a reamp unit. You'll thank me but you're lust for cabs, speakers and microphones won't.
  • Ché said:
    *unhelpful anti-emulation advice incoming*

Buy a reamp unit. You'll thank me but you're lust for cabs, speakers and microphones won't.
    Got one.  Use my Pod Studio to reamp, works great :) 

Problem is volumes.  Today, I recorded using amp and mic, but as I can't get a great deal of volume, the mic gain goes up = more noise.  It sounds good, but it is a bit noisy, and it makes cleans pretty bad.  Distortion, you don't notice so much. 

So I will probably get an AMT P2 and use power amp and impulses.
  • As it happens, I tried a free trial of Torpedo Wall Of Sound and found it really intuitive to use... When I finally managed to find where the VST installed ¬_¬

I tried some presets, and found the californian metal was good, just required some tweaking to get rid of boominess and it's miles better than the cab emulations on POD Farm.  
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    You should grab the impulses drew put up in another thread recently, they sound pretty cool.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    edited May 2014

Problem is volumes.  Today, I recorded using amp and mic, but as I can't get a great deal of volume, the mic gain goes up = more noise.  It sounds good, but it is a bit noisy, and it makes cleans pretty bad.  Distortion, you don't notice so much. 

When you say volume, do you mean the volume of your amp or the volume of the signal coming from the reamp unit? I'm gonna assume you can't turn your amp up loud enough to get a decent sound (neighbours, apartment, parents etc.) hence your need for impulses.

If you don't mind the suggestion how about building an isolation box or purchasing something like the Randall Isocab:

Lower wattage amps are also great for recording. Page used an tiny Supro, Clapton used a Tweed Champ on Layla. 

• Ché said:

When you say volume, do you mean the volume of your amp or the volume of the signal coming from the reamp unit? I'm gonna assume you can't turn your amp up loud enough to get a decent sound (neighbours, apartment, parents etc.) hence your need for impulses.

If you don't mind the suggestion how about building an isolation box or purchasing something like the Randall Isocab:

Lower wattage amps are also great for recording. Page used an tiny Supro, Clapton used a Tweed Champ on Layla. 

If anyone can build a low wattage amp for tight, heavy 5150/engl powerball type gain, more power to them! I don't think it can be done.  

An Isocab would be neat, but I really don't have the room for one.  

I'm actually quite happy using all digital now - I had a wicked sound last night using a stereo dual cab set up, kt88 emulation and lepou 456 as a preamp.  Tight, but huge.  

The super quick demo I've just uploaded is literally lepou 456 into KT88 into a v30 mic'd cab in mono, so it sounds a bit flat and lifeless.  No reverb, either. But when double tracked in a stereo set up, it becomes alive - plenty of brightness but not harsh.