head breaks .Is it Gibson who mainly have the dreaded neck break.

rossirossi Frets: 1703
Just wondering .I have a lovely Midtown but I really need to shove it into a gig bag for the final 1/4 mile to various venues and am getting old and grumpy .The case is  too heavy .Do Guild and similar have weak necks or is it just Gibson mainly .I do use a light Fender but its a bit too light .
thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    The Gibson head break thing is due to the angle of the headstock, the grain of the bit of wood used for the neck, and the routing for the truss rod. All of which combined can make it very easy for a tap to remove the headstock.

I have had the headstock come off of other guitars that have a similar headstock angle. If you're gigging regularly, don't worry about it and if it happens, get it fixed and forget about it.

The audience won't be able to tell.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Mainly Gibson - more than all other brands put together, although to be fair there are probably more Gibsons than most other brands with angled headstocks. But they do have a combination of features which makes them more than usually fragile.

You can get good gig bags with reinforcement and neck supports - Mono and Fusion, probably others. They’re not cheap, but they’re cheaper than a professional headstock repair...

There are also semi-hard cases which can be carried like a gig bag, which are quite cheap.

I use a Mono, it wouldn’t worry me carrying a Gibson in it at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 990
    There's a chap by the name of "Blackmore" who might suggest that Strat's can fail too...

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Friend of mine posted a lovely 80's PRS Custom a few years back and that arrived with a broken headstock too just like a Les Paul. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Strat54 said:
    Friend of mine posted a lovely 80's PRS Custom a few years back and that arrived with a broken headstock too just like a Les Paul. 
    Ironically the cheaper US S2 models are less likely to have breaks than core models as they're scarf jointed. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Winny_Pooh said:

Ironically the cheaper US S2 models are less likely to have breaks than core models as they're scarf jointed. 
    Likewise Epiphone vs. Gibson.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein