Any love here for Jim Deacon guitars?

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
I remember these were quite common 15 to 20 years ago - I used to regularly see them knocking about.

Not sure of the build quality etc but there's a couple of nice examples on eBay at the minute.

Are they decent a standard (proper wood bodies, for example) comparable to Squier CVs?
Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They're closer to Affinity than CV- budget guitars, but no worse for it. 

I had a Jim Deacon Strat for a while. It cost me £20 on gumtree & was a pretty serviceable Strat, though the trem was predictably cheap.
    Mine was a 5 piece body, but not laminate.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I had an explorer that was half decent but it was quite heavy. The other guitarist in my band uses his regularly when we gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Cheers chaps, thought that would be the case - glad I didn't bid on the one that caught my   fancy last night, I often suffer from short term GAS straight after a gig and live to regret it the next day! :-)
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    The bass-player for Kimberly Rew of Soft Boys / Katrina and the Waves game, Lee Cave-Berry, often plays a Jim Deacon bass when they gig in the Cambridge area.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    There seem to be budget brands which are around for a few years and then wander off.

Marlin, Jim Deacon, Harley Benton (probably), Rockinbetter, and others.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I had a Jim deacon and it was actually ok. Wouldn't mind having a look at another
  • Bob_GnarlyBob_Gnarly Frets: 139
    The quality varied depending on the year as they were sourced from different factories so can be a bit hit of miss.
    Jim Deacon was the brand name of SMIRA (Scottish Musical Instrument Retailers Association) who sourced the instrument direct from factories in the far east in the 90s.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    The quality varied depending on the year as they were sourced from different factories so can be a bit hit of miss.
    Jim Deacon was the brand name of SMIRA (Scottish Musical Instrument Retailers Association) who sourced the instrument direct from factories in the far east in the 90s.

So they were made by Cort then?
  • Bob_GnarlyBob_Gnarly Frets: 139
    JD50 said:

So they were made by Cort then?
    Possibly at some point. What I do remember is, during my time working for a Scottish musical instrument retailer in the 90s who was part of the buying group, the quality varied year to year.