SRV tone through Princeton

What's Hot
cgumtreecgumtree Frets: 35
Any recommendations for pedals to achieve this at low volume?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The King Tone Duellist is supposed to be SRV in a box, seems to be a favourite on here but it’s bloody pricey
  • cgumtreecgumtree Frets: 35
    Just checked out the Duellist and it does sound great. At £350 I’d have to sell a few things first before pulling the trigger! Thanks for the recommendation. 
  • heavyrockerheavyrocker Frets: 810
    Well whatever you do don’t waste £350 on an exercise in futility. No pedal can give you SRVs tone. Imagine what Stevie would have sounded like just playing his Strat unplugged. It would have still sounded unmistakably like him. That tells you all you you need to know!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cgumtree said:
    Just checked out the Duellist and it does sound great. At £350 I’d have to sell a few things first before pulling the trigger! Thanks for the recommendation. 
    No probs! Probably worth checking with Duellist owners on here also as I’m not sure how it fairs at low volume. Princeton Reverb is such a great amp for the money,  I have one and it’s one of the best amps I’ve owned. Took me a while to find an overdrive that paired well with it but for home and small gigs it’s perfect.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    I’ve owned the Duellist twice as I thought I’d try it again with a new amp.... @heavyrocker is spot on, in that I didn’t think it’s worth £350 and it definitely won’t make you sound like SRV.. it is beautifully made though and I’d imagine it comes alive at volume.... The good news is that the resale value is good and I lost next to nothing in trying it out. :)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not a Princeton, but I have a Carr Sportsman which is based on one, and I play a Duellist into it at low volumes and it’s epic - though I’m not chasing SRVs tone.
  • solarsolar Frets: 174
    https://youtu.be/dwEsjN6BEaE

Seemed appropriate ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 243
    I play a 65 princeton reverb reissue and a duellist.  I dable in the odd bit of srv its not my go to style of playing though.  But for sure you can get there if your guitar has the right pickups and you can play his style.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Way Huge Pork Loin cops a decent SRV sound if you can play like him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    TS mini
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Any tubescreamer circuit.
    It is mostly down to how you are playing.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited March 2019
    tubescreamer, or perhaps tubescreamer into another drive pedal (both set at low gain). Stacking them seems to produce a better result (for me) than just the TS alone (while not, obviously, turning me into SRV but I suppose the OP did not expect that to happen anyway)

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Just get a TS mini and be done with it. It sounds exactly like a tubescreamer, like all the other tubescreamers 5 times its cost do. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

I think it’s quite hard in that volume was exactly how he got his sound.  Not too much gain but very high volume.  A strat and a TS will get you relatively close but the Princeton even cranked is not the right amp, the Deluxe reverb nails it better, then the bigger 6L6 amps even better than that.  I wouldn’t get a £350 pedal to get a few per cent closer that a cheap TS.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Tube Screamer into Boss Blues Driver.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    When I had a Princeton I used a Weber Minimass attenuator and cranked the amp up. This worked really well, because SRV reb his amps cranked but used efficient speakers that didn't break up much. When you crank a Princeton the speaker farts too much for SRV but with an attenuator the tone is much closer. And then yeah, Tube Screamer.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    ICBM said:
    Tube Screamer into Boss Blues Driver.
    Or anything similar. Yes, it's all in the fingers etc but it's also quite an elusive core tone, mostly arrived at by the upper midrange content being before the drive, giving great string definition and making it sound cleaner than it actually is. 

Stacking a pair of low gain overdrives is the easiest and cheapest way to get somewhere near replicating it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2197
    edited April 2019
    2 tube screamers stacked with level high and gain low

I'm selling a Jam Tubedreamer 88 in the classifieds which is 2 tubedreamers in one enclosure:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/151554/fs-t-various-pedals-free-the-tone-ews-arion-boss-lovepedal-jam-pedals-thorpyfx#latest
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited April 2019
    TC Electronic Mojomojo seems to be getting cheaper by the week, and is basically a tubescreamer with a much more flexible EQ - which will be useful playing at home in case you need to add a bit of treble and/or bass to try and simulate how the amp would sound if it was turned up, i.e. ‘bigger’.

If you then run a TC Spark Mini booster into the front of it, there’s your lead sound. 
  • The Duellist is blindingly good, but expensive, and I did find it a bit noisy.  The Lovepedal Super Six SRV or Stevie Mod version is also referred to as SRV in a box and gives you that tone with the mids boosted slightly, and is a lot cheaper.  Certainly gives you that rhythm tone and then boost the front end with a Tumnus or Klon type pedal for your solos.