Pat Travers was the gold standard back in '77

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110
edited March 2019 in Music
Pat Travers released 'Putting It Straight' in 1977 which was an absolute rock/blues masterpiece.
His playing was second to none at the time and his tone was the fattest I'd ever heard back in those days.
Combined with the incredible bass playing of the late great Peter 'Mars' Cowling and tightest drums you ever heard from the legendry Nicko McBrain this album and its recording was feckin' light years beyond anyone else during that period.

Check it " Ain't What It Seems" at 4:20 into the album, this track is frankly monster in terms of power,syncopation and tightness, an utter masterclass.

This album is essential listening for any blues/rock players.
As a guitarist and tone-hunter IMHO this is one of the most important albums in the history of recorded rock guitar.

Turn it up loud and roll on the bass.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7128
    Fantastic album, Making Magic is a stormer too
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110
    Fantastic album, Making Magic is a stormer too
    Indeed @DrCornelius.
    The first time I ever saw Pat was on the Old Grey Whistle Test where he performed Making Magic.
    It blew me away, I'd never ever seen anyone bend strings in the way he had done to imitate a car reving up,
    I do find it hard to comprehend that very few old timers on here remember him.
    Good Lord he was head and shoulders above any other rock players during that period.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom