NAGD - Nineboys Vintage Jumbo

TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
edited May 2014 in Acoustics
To begin my foray into the dark and beardy, pipe smoke stained world of acoustics, I picked up a Nineboys Vintage jumbo in sunburst the other day at a considerable reduction from the RRP.

It's arrived and as I tentatively opened the hardcase (checking for any Arran sweaters or residual songs about Scottish Islands) my worst fears about acoustics were confirmed - a small block of 2"x1" wood and a G clamp would be needed to get the strings anywhere near the frets.

Now I am a complete noob for acoustics (as if you can't already tell) - I assume they need the attention of a skilled chap to encourage the strings down to within 3' of the neck?

I can set up my electrics my self with no drama- but they have height adjustable bridges - this thing doesn't

What's the deal with these damn things
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• can you post some pictures of the nut, the action at the 12th fret and the bridge etc etc

In fact as many pics as possible
    Old Is Gold
  • pics of the neck from the side as well just in case it is warped.
    Old Is Gold
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    It's hiding fr my wife at work at the moment while I come up with a convincing story as to how I came by a bloody great acoustic -

I'll do some tomorrow

I was assuming it was shipped with the truss slackened off?.....
  • Oh if its new it probably isn't a neck warp, maybe you just have to get used to action of an acoustic which is always a bit higher than an electric. There could be issues with the nut or truss rod though so post some pictures when you get time.
    Old Is Gold
    I have played a few acoustics (not many though) and this definitely has issues!!
  • I have played a few acoustics (not many though) and this definitely has issues!!
    Uh oh.........

Well post the pics and I can see if there is something bad happening.
    Old Is Gold
    Will do

And, thanks

OK

so after chatting with @lexie1 this avo he reminded me of this post.

The guitars has been with a local tech for a while and having had about £60 worth of work - plays really well and it sounds beautiful. A really big fat warm sound. The tech who set it up said it plays and sounds as good as guitars that cost 10 times what i paid for this

so i am a happy chappy - very much recommend this brand - it seem slike they are shipped from the factory in a shit state but becasue the basic componenst are all there - they can be set up to play really well!!