Incoming...Mesa Dual Rec Roadster

This feeling just won't go away and I've finally succumbed to the overwhelming urge to have another Dual Rectifier in my life. 

I've been a fan of the Rectifier sound for years and nothing beats it, as far as I've tried, and for my particular tastes. That thud on a palm muted note is just perfect and the roar and saturation on chords is  sublime, again, for my tastes.

I've had a Single Rec and 2 Multi-Watt Dual Rec's. I'll be honest and say that I never mastered the EQ but I loved the sound they made. I was also a far inferior guitarist than I am now. And given modern techniques that allow us to get the best of these amps at low volume, I'm confident that this will be THE one!

I bid on a Roadster on Monday and lost but tonight I had a second chance offer and snapped their hand off because it was a great price for such a great amp.

Totally chuffed, this will be my first amp in over 2 years and I'm glad to be back on it. 

Anyone got any experience of the Roadster and any tips for EQ'ing. Any Mesa Rectifier fans out there? Do such fans even still exist?

Now, to find a good load box for home use!
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I’m jealous, I’ve always wanted a roadster too, because I love the thought of having an extra “Brit” channel and reverb. But I could never justify it over my multi watt dual rec.

Please do let my know how it compares, I might still be tempted yet!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    Twist the controls until it sounds how you want. Try some extreme or “looks wrong” settings on all four bands of EQ. 
    Boogies aren’t really that much harder to dial in than any other amp. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Nice :) always wanted a Dual Rectifier, love that thick saturation.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited April 2019
    I had one and it was the best amp I've owned.  Great score, hope you like it.

I really liked it best through Mesa cabs, actually I preferred the Recto 2x12 or the regular sized 4x12 with it to the oversized 4x12.  It still sounds great in to other cabs but for me the Recto sound comes from a matching cab with the Mesa voiced V30s.  Red Modern at a decent volume is so much fun to play rock/metal rhythms through, love the way the low end responds on it.  Though for tighter stuff you might want to also have an overdrive pedal of some kind.
  • @guitarfishbay that's great to hear, very encouraging.

It certainly looks the business and it's going to sound massive. I agree, re:an OD pedal... I'm thinking of ordering the Fortin mini pedals, Grind and Zuul. 

Also agreed that nothing beats a Mesa cab with V30's to match it with. 

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    How much are you selling the Kemper for?  :'(
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • jaysmithjaysmith Frets: 27
    Tubescreamer mini into a Rectifier as a boost to loose the flub in the modern mode works a treat. 
    Mesa cabs are superb. I use the 4x12 or 2x12 (depending on gig size).
    I have other amps but I always come back to the Mesa. It has a huge sound, even through a 2x12, that other amps don't come close to.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

Didn't you have a super kraken for about 2 minutes? ;)

• sgosden said:

Didn't you have a super kraken for about 2 minutes? ;)

Ha, yes fair one! I'll actually treat this one as "mine" though as there's no returns policy on it! 'Twas a little dark for my tastes, that one - nice though.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Congratulations mate, welcome back to the world of amps. What took you so long?  :)
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • zepp76 said:
    Congratulations mate, welcome back to the world of amps. What took you so long?  :)
    Ha, thank you, sir. I'm hoping this will work out the way I plan!