Partial Capos

What's Hot
Anyone use one? I'm thinking of getting one to emulate DADGAD, so is it effective in that regard?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    I don't but thought that they affected adjacent frets so I'm not sure how that would work? However I've been wrong before. Many times =)
    P.S. Your post has set me thinking; if it does work I could use something similar to get DADGAD to emulate standard tuning
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    drofluf said:
    P.S. Your post has set me thinking; if it does work I could use something similar to get DADGAD to emulate standard tuning
    How would it work?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Anyone use one? I'm thinking of getting one to emulate DADGAD, so is it effective in that regard?
    No, because it doesn't change the intervals between the strings.

All they do is allow you to use a few different open chord shapes, eg capo'ing 1-5 at the second fret and allowing you to play a D shape (which is now E) with the bottom E string open. But as soon as you fret any of the un-capo'd strings you're back to standard tuning.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    ICBM said:
    No, because it doesn't change the intervals between the strings.

All they do is allow you to use a few different open chord shapes, eg capo'ing 1-5 at the second fret and allowing you to play a D shape (which is now E) with the bottom E string open. But as soon as you fret any of the un-capo'd strings you're back to standard tuning.
    @ICBM is spot on, it's like a third hand holding a chord down for you in standard tuning.

Spider capo would give you most options but the Esus or Amaj type would be the most useful and user friendly to begin with.

Just found this index of partial capo types.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    drofluf said:
    How would it work?
    It wouldn't :( I hadn't thought it through. Like I said I get things wrong =)

Thanks @ICBM and @paganskins for clarifying

Just found this on the Shubb website, so no shortcuts for me. : <

http://www.shubb.com/partial/dadgad.html

Then the only possible solution must be a new guitar to keep in DADGAD =)
    drofluf said:

Then the only possible solution must be a new guitar to keep in DADGAD =)
    I do have a guitar permanently tuned to DADFAD (open D) so I can go from Bob Dylan to Pierre Bensusan in one semitone. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    I have some
    They are very useful for boosting creativity - you can create some new compositions from the resulting tunings

The DADGAD-ish one is interesting, but of course as mentioned, it only allows a few DADGAD-style chords

You can get a spider capo, which allows almost anything, but I didn't find it too useful
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    drofluf said:
    How would it work?
    https://youtu.be/bmwlgSyyhlY?t=92
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    I have one, which capos 3 frets . It's great. Can be useful for creative puposes, and on the second fret is DADGAD style, You can capo the A,D,G string or upside down capo the B,G,D. I prefer using it on the A,D,G.