Ox Box Question

What's Hot
I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but........

Do I still need a interface with the ox box or can I track over usb?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I haven't tried it myself yet but I read somewhere that you could use the box as an interface over USB.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    I think that the USB connectivity was "for future use", and not ready yet?

UA says: "Stereo S/PDIF digital outputs via RCA and optical TOSLINK, as well as balanced TRS stereo line outputs with front panel level control, give you the necessary connections for studio monitors, DAW, or live mixing console inputs."

The devil is in the details, and I think that means no USB-to-DAW. Notably, the OX is excluded from the interfaces section of the UA website.

(I'm looking for an OX, too, but I'd be using the optical SPDIF out to an unused input on an existing interface.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah, it looks like you are right.

I'd been using mine via the digital out into my interface. Just tried it via USB and it did not show up in OSX as an audio interface.

So it looks like you can upgrade the early firmware via that USB port but not much else.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    It's got wireless already, so doesn't really need the USB Host port for firmware updates.

Which is why I suspect/hope that UA has bigger plans for it. Pretty sure they will have used the same Apollo hardware inside and if so, they may plan to let us:
    • buy other UA plug-ins. (I'm selling my Apollo Twin and will miss some of those plugins, so perhaps I'm just dreaming?)
    • use the OX's internal software as inserts/plugins with our DAWs