Flashback Triple Delay - Other options?

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
I'm currently considering the Flashback Triple Delay as a neat way of using multiple delays simultaneously but I'm wondering if there other units out there that I should consider. I currently use the Dunlop Echoplex, a delay that I like very much but if I wanted to add another delay to that unit I'd be looking at another device in order to get parallel play-out - something I'd like to avoid, so the Triple Delay looks like a good option but are there any others out there? ps. I'm not keen on multiple controls and deep editing menus, more of a set and forget kinda guy.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    Check out Chords of Orion - very entertaining and informative...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Triple Delay has some problems.

Say you turn on engine 1, and tap in the tempo ... then turn on engine 2.... engine 2 wont have the same tempo as engine 1. IE: It doesn't have global tap tempo, and as I recall you can't tap the tempo in for an engine when it is bypassed.

Killed it for me. Sent it back.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    The Triple Delay has some problems.

Say you turn on engine 1, and tap in the tempo ... then turn on engine 2.... engine 2 wont have the same tempo as engine 1. IE: It doesn't have global tap tempo, and as I recall you can't tap the tempo in for an engine when it is bypassed.

Killed it for me. Sent it back.

I'm 100% with Drew here...

Actually really liked the unit and the sounds. But the lack of global TT was truly mystifying...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the info. I don’t think that would put me off the pedal, though not having a global option does seem a bit daft.

If all three delays are active, would tapping then update all simultaneously, or can you only tap when a delay is being edited?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    How much are eventide timefactors now days?
    That might do the job. I think it's smaller than the TC too.
    Personally I don't much like the TC sound. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    The Eventide (although very probably a superior machine) is almost double the price of the TC and has only two delays simultaneously. It also looks a lot more complex. A big part of the appeal of the TC unit is its simplicity but if there’s a similar unit, perhaps in a smaller box that would be cool.
    Agree with you about the TC sound, never been very impressed by stuff of theirs i’ve tried (hof, corona), clean and efficient but a bit soulless.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Is the Mooer Ocean Machine comparable? Seems roughly similar from demos I've seen.
    Ah.. way too many knobs!
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Visual sound dual tap delay is simple, but only has two delay "engines". 
  • Maybe it’s a bit basic but the Red Witch Titan delay has 3  parallel or series delays. 
    Maybe it’s a bit basic but the Red Witch Titan delay has 3  parallel or series delays. 
    That looks and sounds very good. Shame they didn't include a footswitch for each instance of delay, plus longer delay times would have been nice, esp when running three together.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Don't do it. I had one, and it was shit - great digital delay sounds, but the tails only really work when you're engaging/bypassing; if you switch to another patch, the remaining repeats take on the sound of the new patch not the old one.

Also, it doesn't have analogue dry-through like almost every other delay out there, so if you put it in a parallel loop the entire signal goes slightly out of phase with the parallel signal (since the A/D conversion is on the main signal as well, which introduces latency), which is dumb.
    <space for hire>
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7864
    Get a DD500. It’s an awesome delay. I’ve had a lot, and still have three delays on my board, but DD500 is epic. The others are there for niche tones....
  • How much are eventide timefactors now days?
    Don't do it. I had one, and it was shit - great digital delay sounds, but the tails only really work when you're engaging/bypassing; if you switch to another patch, the remaining repeats take on the sound of the new patch not the old one.

Also, it doesn't have analogue dry-through like almost every other delay out there, so if you put it in a parallel loop the entire signal goes slightly out of phase with the parallel signal (since the A/D conversion is on the main signal as well, which introduces latency), which is dumb.
    Y'know what on this front, there aren't many delays that actually have the whole "spillover between patches thing" - the DD500 does, the Timeline does, but I think that's probably about it. 

Bye!

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581

Y'know what on this front, there aren't many delays that actually have the whole "spillover between patches thing" - the DD500 does, the Timeline does, but I think that's probably about it. 
    I think the Flashback X4 does, but I'm not sure. The EBS ReTracer definitely does, but it doesn't actually work with MIDI (at least, the two I had didn't - it was a poor physical implementation, I believe).
    <space for hire>
    The Strymon Volante sounds pretty epic but I have to confess, any time I hear 'hold down for 2 secs until the LED turns amber', my eyes glaze over. The Rec level control on this, which drives the input, sounds very nice. The charming Mr Chords of Orion again - 

Think I'm going with the TC Triple Delay for now, it's simple, sounds good and I can spend some time working out if three delays in parallel is going to work for me before diving in the expensive end of the pool.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    JezWynd said:
    I'm currently considering the Flashback Triple Delay as a neat way of using multiple delays simultaneously but I'm wondering if there other units out there that I should consider. I currently use the Dunlop Echoplex, a delay that I like very much but if I wanted to add another delay to that unit I'd be looking at another device in order to get parallel play-out - something I'd like to avoid, so the Triple Delay looks like a good option but are there any others out there? ps. I'm not keen on multiple controls and deep editing menus, more of a set and forget kinda guy.
    Probably not what you're after but the EQD Disaster Transport has two separately switchable delays, no menus, one knob per function, and best of all has a series/parallel blend pot that lets you get all sorts of fun from the two delays together. And most importantly it sounds fantastic.

Very different beast to something like the Flashback or Timeline, though.