Controlling external pedals using Atomic Amplifire and MIDI

NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
I have an Atomic Amplifire and recently added some external pedals on a separate board to enhance the effects capabilities available to me. I now want to be able to switch them on / off automatically for each preset. So I've picked up a Decibel 11 loop expander to do that via midi.

According to the DB11 loop expander manual you can use PC or CC commands (see below).
My question is which should I use if I am using the Amplifire as my midi controller? And how do I set that up ? From what I gather I might need to use PC commands and configure each preset individually.

Operating Modes
The Loop Expander has two basic modes for controlling the loops. The method that you use depends on which type of MIDI messages you send it. If your MIDI controller is capable of sending MIDI Control ON/OFF type messages, then you can use those messages to toggle the state of each individual bypass loop in the Loop Expander. Using this type of control, you get instant access to the individual loops, and you can create and store presets within your MIDI Controller.

If your MIDI Controller is not capable of sending MIDI Continuous Controller messages, then you can use MIDI Program Change messages to load presets that you have previously saved in the Loop Expander. In this mode, you first create and store your presets in the Loop Expander. Then, when the Loop Expander receives a MIDI Program Change on its channel it will load the corresponding preset number.

An example of the sort of thing I'm trying to achieve:
I'd have a pitchfork (loop 1), an EP boost (loop 2) and an EHX Soul food (Loop 3) in the loops of the DB11 loop expander, which would be controlled via midi to switch each of the loops on or off in the right combination for each preset. e.g.
Preset 1 = Deluxe preset, EP boost (loop 2)
Preset 2 = Deluxe preset, EP boost and Soul food (loops 2&3)
Preset 3 = Plexi, EP boost (loop 2)
Preset 4 = Plexi, EP boost, Soul Food, AA reverb, AA delay (loops 2&3)
Preset 5 = Plexi, AA Fuzz, EHX pitchfork (loop 1)

Hope this makes sense and that someone can help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6809
    edited April 2019
    If you want presets on the DB11, then send PC messages from the Amplifire,
    PC1 = preset 1, etc

if you want to switch individual loops on/off then use CC messages.

PC messages are usually aligned to the Amplifire preset number. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited April 2019
    Thanks Mark.  Do you know whether you can assign certain loops to each preset on the DB11 loop switcher?

Eg preset 1 = loop 2 only
    Preset 2 = loops 2 & 3
    Preset 3 = loop 2 only 
    Etc

Then just send PC messages from the amplifire and configure it for each preset.
    edited November 2019
    An update - I've done exactly this and it works like a dream.

If you are using a modeller on a board that is capable of sending midi PC messages then do yourself a favour and get something like a DB11 Loop expander, Axess GRX4, VoodooLab Hex of Morningstar ML5.

It's like having a Helix, but with real pedals. Only trouble is it ends up costing and weighing as much as a Helix too.

Hmm. Maybe I should have just bought a Helix ;-)

• can I buy the  DB11 Loop expander in the UK I haven't seen it
    edited September 2020
    I bought one on reverb

Morningstar ml5 does the same thing
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    tokaitom said:
    can I buy the  DB11 Loop expander in the UK I haven't seen it
    Discontinued. But you can get them second hand