Furch vs Martin

What's Hot
JontommyJontommy Frets: 2
edited November 2020 in Acoustics
I am just about to call time on my Gibson j35. Love the tone & look if it but the neck is a bit to chunky for me & I just prefer a smaller body. 

I really like the feel of modified low oval neck on the martins I have tried. I’ve nearly pulled the trigger on a 00017 a couple of times. 

I’d love to try a Furch om but none locally. Once heard a guy playing one & it sounded stunning. 

Neck wise can anyone help advise me on the feel of one? 

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14534
    Different models have different neck widths and cross sections. (I have a Stonebridge grand auditorium. My local dealership has a lovely Furch parlour model. If I could justify owning both, I would.) I would not describe Furch/Stonebridge as either better or worse than Martin or Gibson.

The only thing that matters is how these necks fit and feel in your hands. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    Furch have recently changed their neck profiles, I can't remember exactly but before they changed I remember them being Taylor kind of medium profile. 

However, if the Martin low profile one works for you then as obvious as it sounds why not go for that particular avenue? 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2697
    edited April 2019
    I owned a Furch OM35sr - was a lovely lovely guitar. Had to sell to raise funds at the time unfortunately, but was superbly built and beautiful tone.

Edit: regarding neck profile, I had a very narrow nut with a soft v type fuller profile. I wouldn't call it chunky but it wasn't skinny. Felt very nice.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    I owned a Furch OM35sr - was a lovely lovely guitar. Had to sell to raise funds at the time unfortunately, but was superbly built and beautiful tone.

Edit: regarding neck profile, I had a very narrow nut with a soft v type fuller profile. I wouldn't call it chunky but it wasn't skinny. Felt very nice.
    I've got a Stonebridge (Furch) OM with a neck like that.  It's very nice.

Having owned two Furch/Stonebridge and three Martin guitars, my take is that Furch are better than a lot of Martins.  The top end Martins are really special, but Furch compare favourably with the rest of the range.  I've not played the new reimagined D28, but I would take on the higher end Furch guitars over the old D28 any day.  One you get up to something like an HD28V it's different, but it's also a lot more money.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    I've got a Stonebridge (which you probably know is a brand name that Furch used for a while when they thought a Czech name would'nt sell in the USA). It's an SF25 12 string. The neck is wide across the fretboard and narrow front to back, which makes it easier for me to play.  Sounds great, beautifully built and never goes out of tune. I've tried a few other Furch 6 stringers and they've all been nice to play and better sounding than equally priced American guitars. None were more expensive than £1500, so the earlier comment about really high end guitars being closer in quality  isn't something I can add to. 
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    If you like the slightly shorter scale then also consider eastman. I picked up a nice E6 om last month. Or larrivee not shorter scale.
  • JontommyJontommy Frets: 2
    Thanks for all the advice.

i think due to not being able to try a Furch I will need to go with something I can try. 

Shame as there is a really nice Furch  om34 sr on eBay. Slight V neck on these I believe. Due to me not getting on with the J35 I don’t want to take any chances on my next purchase. 

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2019
    Spend a weekend in delightful Brno. You can visit the Furch factory shop in the town centre and play every model. The savings from buying direct will offset the cost of your visit  :)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    My advice is get a Martin you'll be able to source a new or used one easily. Furch may be great guitars but if you can't find one locally to try it out then why chase unicorns.
    If you are already selling a nice guitar because of neck issues then you definitely need to know your next guitar will not have the same issue for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    Once you get up to something like an HD28V, it's different but it's also a lot more money.
    INSIDER TIP: Pay very close attention to how well the binding is attached.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2697
    crunchman said:
    Once you get up to something like an HD28V, it's different but it's also a lot more money.
    INSIDER TIP: Pay very close attention to how well the binding is attached.
    Elaborate?
    Bad glue batch. 

Simple repair can look ugly. Full-on remedy involves partial refinish by Martin-approved workshop. ££££££££££££££