Parlour recommendations

What's Hot
bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
Hi I'm looking to get a Parlour size guitar for my son ,Possibly electro but not essential.Budget around £300 .Not looking for second hand as its a gift.

I will be trying before I buy but just looking for some ideas and a starting point. 

Any recommendations much appreciated.

Bob
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I recently bought one of the Gretsch Jim Dandy's and like it a lot. For £138 it's great and to my ears sounds good and plays well. In short it's a fun & easy guitar to play & since I got it I haven't bothered getting my tele out and have been messing about on this instead!  Might be worth a look for you?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    why a parlour?
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Alverez ap 70 , great little guitar.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Cort L100p about £190, solid top.
    Faith Mercury (all solid), or seagull both around £350 (granted over budget), although the later I have seen for £300 new.

The gretch seems good, but personally I am not sold on the looks, sounds good on the YouTube videos.

Also note, some have a standard scale length of 25.5 ish and others 24".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Thanks for the replies , I have now had my head turned some what by the Taylor GS Mini.So I am in the market for something a little bigger. Dont want to stretch to the Taylor but the Vintage V300/V1300 looks like it could be a reasonable alternative.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    edited May 2014
    bobblehat;232443" said:
    Thanks for the replies , I have now had my head turned some what by the Taylor GS Mini.So I am in the market for something a little bigger. Dont want to stretch to the Taylor but the Vintage V300/V1300 looks like it could be a reasonable alternative.
    Personally I consider the GS Mini to be in a class of its own, in terms of playability and tone.

I'd try to pick up a used one. If you eventually decided to sell it on, you wouldn't loose money.
  • I did this search 18 months ago... Similar budget too.
    I was torn between the V300, v880, fender Ron Emory, sigma 00-15m(?) and an Art et Lutherie ami.
    Sigma do some LOVELY small bodied guitars, particularly in mahogany. I'd totally recommend tracking them down.
    I bought the Ami- I got a great price & it's excellent. I now REALLY want one of those Jim Dandys though, had I seen one then I believe I'd have bought it! That price is too tempting- I'm actually looking for a second hand one now.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited May 2014
    I should have said, I didn't like the gloss finish on the v300- it didn't feel nice (I seem to prefer satin finished necks). The v300mh is awesome-
    It's all personal though. As everyone always says, make a short list & go and try as many as you can lay hands on.
    Good luck.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Thanks

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    as per @Rigid_Digits I also have a Jim Dandy. Pleasant little instrument, good VFM.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself