New Strymon Timeline owner - tips, techniques, advice welcome!

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
edited April 2019 in FX
I got a Strymon Timeline today. Now getting my head around the presets and editing mode. Lots of ambient-y settings there which seem quite nice. Any top tips and techniques from you Timeline old-hands for a Timeline fresher?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    Search for some settings online, there’s a lot out there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    Get the Multi Switch - it opens up the looper
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Turn the knob to the filtered delay setting and gaffa tape it in place. It’s the best setting on it. 
    How very rock and roll
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Getting there, slowly.

Confused at first by the way the manual speaks of "presets" and "banks". I thought there were a hundred banks of hundred presets....noooo... there are 100 presets divided into A + B. So a "bank" is A + B. OK.

Next concept to grok is global vs preset delay time for a preset. Check.

A couple of gripes:

Entering values with the rotary knob can be hit and miss if you turn it too quickly, as if it can't keep up.

Takes an age to get from preset 01 to, say, 46 with the "Value" knob.

• Yep. A bank is basically a block of two presets.

I have the tempo setting to be global so that when I switch presets I don't get annoying shifts in tempo.

If you want to switch presets, I find it easiest to press the A+B switch together to go down, and B+TAP together to go up the banks. Then when I'm at the bank I know I want, hit a single preset to switch over to that preset.

Bye!

If you want to switch presets, I find it easiest to press the A+B switch together to go down, and B+TAP together to go up the banks. Then when I'm at the bank I know I want, hit a single preset to switch over to that preset.
    Got that, but would be useful if the presets would go up/down if you held the two switches down after a time.
    I have the tempo setting to be global so that when I switch presets I don't get annoying shifts in tempo.
    Yes, good idea for some presets, but not so good for things like short slap back (a 1 second slap back is not ideal)
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    It's useful to download the editing software from their website (I think it's called 'Nixie') and using that to edit presets on your computer. It also allows you to arrange your presets and banks more easily.

dogload said:
    It's useful to download the editing software from their website (I think it's called 'Nixie') and using that to edit presets on your computer. It also allows you to arrange your presets and banks more easily.

Good call.
    There's a problem with the "Value" encoder knob on my Timeline. If I turn it anti-clockwise too fast the value goes up or stays the same instead of going down. I have to to turn it reasonably slowly to get the value to go down. Turning it clockwise is fine.

(The "Type" encoder works fine)

Anybody else have this problem?
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I did have a problem like that on my one I had once. I contacted Chris of MusicPsych who fixed it for me for nowt. I did go to his premises though and he did it while I waited etc 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    I did have a problem like that on my one I had once. I contacted Chris of MusicPsych who fixed it for me for nowt. I did go to his premises though and he did it while I waited etc 
    OK, do you know what the problem was?
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Philtre said:
    OK, do you know what the problem was?
    All I know is he swapped out the mother board but that was only because he had one spare in his workshop and was less time trying to solder in posts and stuff. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Philtre said:
    There's a problem with the "Value" encoder knob on my Timeline. If I turn it anti-clockwise too fast the value goes up or stays the same instead of going down. I have to to turn it reasonably slowly to get the value to go down. Turning it clockwise is fine.

(The "Type" encoder works fine)

Anybody else have this problem?
    New encoder from Chris at MusicPsych fitted. All working fine now. Cheers, @hotpickups !
    edited April 2019
    Put a JRAD Archer or similar Klon just before the Timeline, choose a preset with the "Digital" setting and turn up the Grit control = whistling from the TL.

I know this is a known issue with charge pumps in Klons + some Strymons but, apart from not mixing the two pedals, did anyone ever solve this issue?
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    edited April 2019