A new delay from Valhalla

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited April 2019 in Studio & Recording
Somebody teased this last night, and said it's coming today apparently. If it's anything like their other plugins, it is definately something to look forward too.

https://valhalladsp.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/VDelay-anim-small.gif

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    'tis imminent - their website has gone into maintenance mode for 30 minutes.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    revsorg said:
    'tis imminent - their website has gone into maintenance mode for 30 minutes.

It's up now.

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/delay/valhalladelay/

It's not a competition.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22118
    It does not disappoint. 

@octatonic have you had a chance to dabble with it yet? I'm totally blown away by it. Excellent with guitar, lends itself to rhythmic drones very nicely. It's a very musical delay indeed. 

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2019
    I've got the demo on the go, and it seems like a steal for $50. All of the Valhalla stuff is excellent, and this is another one for the collection  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have it now .. tis excellent. I have all the Valhalla plugins. As @Freebird says a steal for 50 bucks.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited April 2019
    This is promising! How's the DMM style setting? Any El Cap tones in there? Mod on the analog delay ok?

Sorry, I'll do the demo, but busy!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    This is promising! How's the DMM style setting? Any El Cap tones in there? Mod on the analog delay ok?

Sorry, I'll do the demo, but busy!
    Very OK. My DMM obsession had me going through several big box pedals (13 at last count). Echoboy is the closest I've found to the sound and feel of my favourite DMM with the benefit of less noise compared to the DMM. 

Valhalla Delay is right in that ballpark. The BBD and tape settings are excellent. The presets are as useful as I've found for ages on a plugin because they show you what can be done in more experimental ways. Some of the reverb settings are very workable indeed. 

I sat here for 15 minutes this afternoon with two MIDI patterns and a few drum loops and I haven't had so much fun with Reaper and two plugins only for ages. 

And if you haven't got a Valhalla plugin before, then you'll get Space Modulator free. Can't say enough about SM as it replaced most of my chorus plugins. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited April 2019
    @octatonic have you had a chance to dabble with it yet? I'm totally blown away by it. Excellent with guitar, lends itself to rhythmic drones very nicely. It's a very musical delay indeed. 
    Everything Sean makes is a home run and a no-brainer purchase at a sensible price.

I'm a bit sick of skeuomorphic plugin design- it is nice to have products that don't try to ape the look of a hardware unit and are clearly laid out and easy to work with.

I'm using this with my Eurorack/Ableton guitar rig- it has largely replaced Echoboy and Fabfilter Timeless.
    octatonic said:

Eurorack/Ableton guitar rig
    Eurorack?
    revsorg said:
    octatonic said:

Eurorack/Ableton guitar rig
    Eurorack?
    Yes, Eurorack.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Exciting stuff. Have all the other Valhalla plugs and they’re excellent. 

revsorg said:
    Hehe.
    I have a bunch of Eurorack modules that I integrate into my guitar rig.
    Currently all the modules are part of a Eurorack synth rig 
    I haven't quite decided on exactly what is going to make the final cut yet but it will probably be make Noise Morphagene, Strymon Magneto, Intelligel Rainmaker, Make Noise Echofon.
    These run in parallel with one another on a matrix mixer that is all in parallel with Ableton and an Oberheim Echoplex.
    Pedals on the front end are Whammy V, a bunch of fuzz pedals, Hexe Revolver DX and a Meris Enzo.
    Everything feed into a Rane SM26S mixer.

All amplified by either the Kemper Power Rack or my tube amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you - I couldn't think how these would be relevant to a guitar rig.  Do you have any recordings of your work? It sounds interesting.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    revsorg said:
    Thank you - I couldn't think how these would be relevant to a guitar rig.  Do you have any recordings of your work? It sounds interesting.
    Not of this- I've not finished building it, but plan to record with it once I've done it.
    I've done a fair bit of session musician type work but that is more regular guitar playing.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    So, I already have echoboy...do I need this? :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2019
    octatonic said:
    revsorg said:
    Not of this- I've not finished building it, but plan to record with it once I've done it.
    I've done a fair bit of session musician type work but that is more regular guitar playing.
    Don't forget a photo 

I've taken the bargain-basement approach. I've got all my audio software wired into my Kemper/FX8 via an Orchid Amp Interface with a SPDIF return. Things can get quite weird & wonderful very quickly! I'm also experimenting with some Nebula analogue emulation stuff to round off the tone.
    So, I already have echoboy...do I need this?
    Yes. 

As a DMM obsessive (I've had at least 13 big box DMMs), I spent ages A-B'ing a really good DMM against Echoboy. It's incredibly close. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was missing and then it struck me: it's the lack of noise compared to the DMM. Echoboy hasn't got it for obvious reasons. 

Where Valhalla Delay works so well is the ease of use and the differences between modes. Echoboy is powerful but you have to really get into it to tweak. You do have to RTFM. Valhalla Delay isn't like that. 

It's notable that over at KVR there are a few people a bit confused by VD's less than totally clean nature (although I believe the new build solves some of that). They're mostly electronic music guys used to digital stuff. Sean said from the outset that VD would be inspired by pedals and tape echos. It really does have that vibe to it right down to spaceship feedback sounds (it certainly feeds back more musically to my ears than Echoboy).