Does anyone here draw or paint?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
it's something I've often wished I could do.

I found out recently that someone I was at Uni with and then in the RAF with who had exhibited no artistic tendencies whatsoever (we were doing Engineering degrees) is now a professional artist living in Dublin and for some reason it's got me thinking about it again. 

I'm considering doing the drawing course on drawabox.com 

Anyone else here dabble to any degree? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Very basic painting with Acrylics here
    Theres loads of info and tutorials on the Tube...
    Ms nb57 attends an Art goup weekly and she has amazed everyone as a total beginner. I would go but Im still working......

Do a bit of research and give give it a go, its both highly rewarding and immensely frustrating in equal measures....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I enjoy drawing in chalk and charcoal (though have had little time to do so while at uni)... took life drawing classes as well as began a mixed media course (which turned out to be a qualification and I wasn't THAT interested.. I wanted to learn to paint/draw not go down the route of exams).

I also do model painting/airbrushing which can be fun.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    edited April 2019
    I'm an oil painter. Also dabbled with (and sometimes still do) graphite pencils, coloured pencils and charcoal, soft pastels, acrylic and watercolour paints. To be messed around with at some point are linocuts and some more coloured pencils.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    It's one of the easiest and cheapest things to get into. All you need is a pencil and paper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    Nice. Do any of your have any stuff online or is it for personal gratification?
    Red ones are better. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    Pencil sketches for me, usually cartoon based. Just for fun.

Ive done a bit of wood carving in the past - my mum was really good at it.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    edited April 2019
    I can't even draw the curtains without fucking it up. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited April 2019
    What JimFuego said - I hated art at school and found drawing (or even copying from books) frustrating, because how it came out on paper was never what was in my mind's eye. 

Once computers came along, that was another thing entirely.  If anyone remembers the images I'd post on Intermusic / MusicRadar forums, they were examples of getting an idea for an image out of my head and onto the screen, using Photoshop. Very satisfying.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    What JimFuego said - I hated art at school and found drawing (or even copying from books) frustrating, because how it came out on paper was never what was in my mind's eye. 

Once computers came along, that was another thing entirely.  If anyone remembers the images I'd post on Intermusic / MusicRadar forums, they were examples of getting an idea for an image out of my head and onto the screen, using Photoshop. Very satisfying.
    OchAyePod 
    Red ones are better. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    VimFuego said:
    I can't even draw the curtains without fucking it up. 
    Well you certainly know how to draw attention :D
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited June 2019
    Spler-donge! 

• I used to sell canvases of famous people online when I was a student but the time it took to make them wasn't worth the money I was getting. I've done some vector drawing prints for family members as a get-out-of-jail-free alternative to presents when I've been stuck for what to get people. Fundamentally I can't draw with a pencil and paper though so the drawabox.com link looks great, thanks!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

I used to, even to the point of doing commissions for people, but haven't done anything seriously since around 1997.

Like anything else, you have to keep doing it to get "better" and once you get to the point of being able to approach it with a degree of relaxation and some knowledge of what you're doing it starts to become really fun.

Having said all of that, be prepared for moments (usually half way through) when you wonder why you bothered starting in the first place and you feel like chucking it in the bin - this used to happen to me regularly, but by and large I was pleased by the time I finished.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 666

I went to art college after school, and then went on to study Computer Art. I have done quite a few commissions over the years. I had some illustrations published a while back now too which was cool. Prefer to do pencil drawings/portraits, and acrylic was my paint of choice

I got properly into guitar just as I was leaving uni, and art kinda took a back seat for music and still does for the most part, but I recently got an iPad with  the Apple pencil and have done some stuff in Pro Create which I'm loving!

My younger brother is also artistic and is a tattoo artist in Glasgow.

I'm actually working on a commission at the moment, and really need to get my finger out.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    I used to be quite good at school which is a very long time ago.

Mrs R has a degree in fine art and a studio in an old mill in Ancoats. When I retire I'd like to do a bit of paint sploshing myself.