Fuzz that sounds good at low/home volumes?

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4201
edited April 2019 in FX
I’ve got a Roger Mayer Classic but tbh it doesn’t sound particularly pleasing unless it’s going into a fairly pushed amp. Any recommendations for something that can go into a clean Princeton and sound good at neighbour-friendly volumes? Sound wise, I prefer the mellower end of the fuzz spectrum, and like the fuzz-backed-off-at-the/guitar-volume-knob sound.

Any thoughts welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Thorpy Fallout Cloud.
    The EQ makes it very flexible and powerful.
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 376
    edited April 2019
    Fulltone 69 Mkii is the best I’ve tried for home sounds. The extra knobs are the secret! My favourite for Hendrix tones anyway!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Run any fuzz face type into a drive pedal, amp can be dead clean then. Not all drives have the headroom to cope though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited April 2019
    MI Audio Neo Fuzz if you can find one.  What you describe is how I use mine, except in to a clean Laney. With guit vol backed off it retains the treble for a lovely germanium warm clean, (unlike my overdrives which all seem to lose treble). It's a great always on pedal, going from clean to overdrive to all out fuzz if you want - all via guit vol. There's another internal trimmer for gain as well. Lasts forever on a battery too. Not many demos online so bit of a sleeper but a keeper! Sales pitch over. 
  • Seymour Duncan Fooz would do the job. It’s top notch at any volume. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Joyo Voodoo Octave
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Corvus said:
    Run any fuzz face type into a drive pedal, amp can be dead clean then. Not all drives have the headroom to cope though.
    The RM Classic is an excellent fuzzface, just pair it with a decent amp-like overdrive. I like stuff like the broadcast or blackstone, but even stuff pike the joyo sansamp clones can do a good job. 
  • Mark1985Mark1985 Frets: 234
    Chase tone 68 red velvet fuzz. May have one for sale if interested as I've a kingtone mini fuzz on the way.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Wampler Velvet is designed (I believe) to go into a clean amp yet sound like a fuzz hitting a loud, pushed amp. Kind of 'fuzz-in-a-box' rather than a traditional fuzz that needs to be used in the correct way to get the most out of it. I'm sure it wouldn't satisfy a proper fuzz-head but works for me as I just use it occasionally. Could probably get better results pairing a really good fuzz with an overdrive as suggested previously but I'd rather just have the one pedal, set and forget.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4201
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. I’ve ordered a Fulltone 69 Mk II. I’ll be playing with a Tele and this demo swung it for me...

https://youtu.be/k9NAjh1vCSA
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom