Fading the finish on a Gretsch Country Gent?

What's Hot
the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1800
edited April 2019 in Guitar
I’ve got a 2013 Gretsch Country Gent, the 6122-62, and I love it. But, the finish is pretty darkly stained and I’d really like it if it could look a bit more like the original ones with a lighter finish, more of the grain showing though and the painted f-holes more prominent.

More like this:

Is such a thing even remotely feasible without a full refinish? Is there any way I could get the finish to fade?

Any thoughts anyone?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Leaving it in the window on a sunny day?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1800
    Leaving it in the window on a sunny day?
    I had thought about utilising our current sunny weather but have no idea if that would be a bad idea or not. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7914
    Leave it with me. I’ll play it in my conservatory every day until autumn. That should get it a shade or two lighter. 

My rates are very reasonable... ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    You'll need to do it outside to have any effect quickly - glass blocks ultraviolet light fairly well.

That said I doubt it's likely to do it anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    it all depends on the dye used, red fades the fastest with my stuff, if it's uv resistant I'm not sure if it'll do much, just try it and see what happens 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • I was actually joking, based on the terrible fading that's been posted on here before where shops have left things in the windows...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I know what you mean. I’ve got a 2004 model, (they were calling them the Country Classic back then for contractual reasons). The paint on mine is also quite dark making it hard to see the black painted on f holes.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1800
    Hmm, not sounding like it’s likely to be effective which is what I think I expected to hear. 

Ah well, it’s not a bad looking thing at the moment
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I'm sure leaving it in the sunlight would work, although with the UK climate it could take years!

Worth a go, but watch out for the wood getting too dry, maybe oil the fretboard

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5789
    If there’s a chance that sunlight might fade the finish, maybe book it a sun-bed session or two and see where it goes. My random, untested and totally non scientific thinking is that the wood will fare better with a short burst of heat than with being slowing baked over a prolonged period??? 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    the most fading light is actually a North light...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    the most fading light is actually a North light...
    If you're in the southern hemisphere.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    When my Tele was left in the sun it darkened the finish (it was white originally, it turned a light mustard).
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Take it to a tanning salon, dont forget the oil  :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Time will do the job nicely.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    U/V bulb worth a try?
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    I’ll take it off your hands and play it for a few dozen years. Then it’ll look like Squire’s  ;)