Sheer lunacy

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
Look at this photo:

Zoom in and you will see children playing on top.  What kind of idiot has a picnic just feet from certain death?  What kind of idiot sits at the foot of a cliff where even a small object dropping from above is likely to kill you, never mind a few hundred tons of chalk, rock and other idiots landing on you?

This kind of idiot....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-48026250

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    You're right.
    All areas of natural beauty should be cordoned off, huge warning signs placed everywhere and loud sirens sound continually for the benefit of the blind. Only that way can people be saved from themselves.
    Conversely, let nature sort the stupid from the bright.

8reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I like the bit about the warning signage not being large enough and not being in other languages.
    How stupid must you be if you don't realise that standing inches away from plunging to certain doom might not be in your best interest.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    Sassafras said:
    I like the bit about the warning signage not being large enough and not being in other languages.
    How stupid must you be if you don't realise that standing inches away from plunging to certain doom might not be in your best interest.
    Go and buy a new clothes iron.

Look at the warnings

It will say "Do not iron clothes while ironing."

QED.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited April 2019
    This is Beach Head lighthouse...

Image result for beachy head lighthouse

You see how far it is out to sea? Well, the last time there was a landslip here it put the lighthouse at the tip of a peninsula. So much of the cliff fell that the lighthouse keeper had to be rescued, as the door was completely covered-up. Luckily, you could walk to the lighthouse now, so it wasn't much of a problem...

It's not just the people on top, or directly underneath, who are at risk - it's everyone on the beach. When these things go, 100's of tons of chalk, rock and sandstone could be on the move.

My local beach has a fossil-strewn cliff that people love digging into - seemingly oblivious as to where the massive rocks they just climbed over to get to the cliff-face have come from...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Sassafras said:
    Go and buy a new clothes iron.

Look at the warnings

It will say "Do not iron clothes while ironing."

QED.
    Not any less ridiculous, but don't you mean "Don't iron clothes while wearing them"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6809

You see how far it is out to sea? Well, the last time there was a landslip here it put the lighthouse at the tip of a peninsula. So much of the cliff fell that the lighthouse keeper had to be rescued, as the door was completely covered-up. Luckily, you could walk to the lighthouse now, so it wasn't much of a problem...

It's not just the people on top, or directly underneath, who are at risk - it's everyone on the beach. When these things go, 100's of tons of chalk, rock and sandstone could be on the move.

My local beach has a fossil-strewn cliff that people love digging into - seemingly oblivious as to where the massive rocks they just climbed over to get to the cliff-face have come from...
    These events are fairly infrequent, so I don’t think we should stop people enjoying nature, but there’s a difference in risk between sitting near the base of a cliff and holding your toddler near a crumbly edge while looking over the edge. There’s been a few selfie deaths where people have been more interested in showing off than preventing death.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    mrkb said:

These events are fairly infrequent, so I don’t think we should stop people enjoying nature, but there’s a difference in risk between sitting near the base of a cliff and holding your toddler near a crumbly edge while looking over the edge. There’s been a few selfie deaths where people have been more interested in showing off than preventing death.
    What did you do to lose your picture chief!
  • Reminds of a time I visited some castle ruins. A guy positioned his very young daughter on an uneven section of wall with a considerable drop behind her. He stepped too far away to be able to intervene if she fell backwards and proceeded to take her photo as she kicked her legs happily and waved her arms for the photo. I was frozen. Too frightened to dash over and take her out of danger in case I spooked her and she recoiled. Never been so scared for somebody in all my life. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited April 2019
    Sassafras said:
    Let nature sort the stupid from the bright.

I'm with Emp on this one. The kid in the 2nd photo shouldn't have to face the possibility of imminent death because of the reckless behaviour of his/her idiot dad.

You can't protect the guy from himself but you can try to protect the kid from the dad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Puts me in mind of a sign I saw near some perilous attraction or other in Oz:

’Your safety: is our concern 
    But your responsibility ‘

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Emp_Fab I suggest you never visit the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland, you would be horrified. Warning signs being ignored, people taking stupid risks next to 200m drops, it was terrifying. 

Do we know for certain that it's his child?
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    Can't even take your kid for his first flying lesson these days without some prick questioning your parenting ability.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    See a lot of this kind of stupidity near us at West Bay. There are often massive (thousands of tons) rock falls at the cliffs and the idiots will go clambering over the fallen rock, or letting their kids play underneath the cliffs. It's absolutely insane, and that's before we even get to the twits taking selfies at the cliff edge. 

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited April 2019
    Sassafras said:

Yes, because ironically, nobody would dream of doing the same thing with someone else's child and nobody would let someone else do it to their child.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389

Also - we can't see the perspective - chap may be 3-4ft behind the edge.

As for a possible chalk cliff collapse, I get it, but these tend to be during adverse weather rather than warm sunny days.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Sassafras said:
    You're right.
    All areas of natural beauty should be cordoned off, huge warning signs placed everywhere and loud sirens sound continually for the benefit of the blind. Only that way can people be saved from themselves.
    Conversely, let nature sort the stupid from the bright.

I wasn't suggesting any kind of 'nanny-state' intervention.  What the local council do is really neither here nor there.  I was just expressing alarm at the number of utter twats that are walking around us all.  These dipshits drive cars....  and vote !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    You can tell that rock falls are very common there because of how sharp and fresh the cliff edge is, like a slice straight down through the layers of grass, soil and rock - it can't have been like that for more than a few months or the soil becomes rounded by weathering and the grass starts to grow down to the rock.

While it's true that falls are most common in bad weather and after it's been below freezing at night, they can happen at any time. Sometimes all it needs is a little bit of weight on the top not far from the edge...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Jalapeno said:

Also - we can't see the perspective - chap may be 3-4ft behind the edge.

True, it looks to me like the edge of the cliff directly in front of him is the section bang in the middle of the photo. 
    I'm not defending him, but he was probably being a little more cautious than the perspective suggests. 

Kilgore said:
    Sassafras said:

Yes, because ironically, nobody would dream of doing the same thing with someone else's child and nobody would let someone else do it to their child.

He could've snatched the child and wanted to teach it a lesson.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom