Buying guitars from japan, where to start?

What's Hot
shaunk26shaunk26 Frets: 25
Hey all, I’m new to the world of Japanese copies and I’m interested in maybe buying a Greco, Edwards or Burny LP copy. I’ve been browsing eBay and reverb looking at potentials. However I’ve read about some of the pitfalls of importing a guitar. One of these was sellers advertising guitars which do not belong to them. The idea being once you send funds to them they will try to buy it.

Any users able to recommend any other websites or physical UK stores?
2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    edited April 2019
    Ishibashi..
    These folks are great to deal with. I bought a Tokai LS160-VF through then a few years ago and the whole experience was very smooth. You have to factor in the postage,VAT and import duty, but even then the prices 'were' good.
    I'm not sure about the CITES issues though with their current sales so you may need to see if they provide certification where required.

Edit.. looking at their current prices, there don't seem to be the bargains there used to be.. has the pound dropped that much against the Yen since brexit?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The search starts and ends with ishibashi

Ishibashi ubox is always worth a Google. Beware the gas
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 208
    Beware the cites, I was in touch with a few Japanese shops lately who said they wouldn't send overseas 
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 208
    I was looking to buy a tokai and found that it made a lot more sense to import one from Spain, similar price once you factor in tax and shipping and all round simpler

• shaunk26shaunk26 Frets: 25
    Thanks for the tip bloomer. I have seen quite a few Spanish stores on reverb. I’m interested in an Edwards LP but seem pricey brand new.
    2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard ltd edition, 2012 Fender strat 70s re-issue, 2018 Epiphone Texan