Donating Instruments to charity

What's Hot
ROOGROOG Frets: 557

I have been told that a guitar has to go, so my old 1983-84 Hondo LP has been pushed to the front of the queue. I wondered if there were any charities that made use of instruments, 'passed them on'  rather than put it in their window to sell?

I'm in the Bristol area.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
    I would say 'donate' it to a local school for their music room. That way the school can use it and lots of kids will get the benefit of it, or raffle it off and give the money to charity.
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Ooh, the Billy Bragg one. Guitars for people behind bars. I might have that slightly wrong but it is something like that. I may go google.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited August 2013
    stonevibe said:
    I would say 'donate' it to a local school for their music room. That way the school can use it and lots of kids will get the benefit of it, or raffle it off and give the money to charity.
    Thats a thought, I didn't think that they would be interested in an electric, more; violins, cornets and clarinets from my memories! 

Ooh, the Billy Bragg one. Guitars for people behind bars. I might have that slightly wrong but it is something like that. I may go google.
    Jailguitardoors - but they don't seem to want actual guitars. Oh well.But community music projects,etc, will want it. I know I could give it away to something like that here, for example.
    'ETW' I know not of what you speak? "Guitars for people behind bars"!

Cheers 'ETW', looked em up, I see what you mean now.

ROOG said:
    'ETW' I know not of what you speak? "Guitars for people behind bars"!
    this has probably crossed over with my reply to myself but I meant prison bars - fairly sure Billy isn't running a charity for publicans. Can I add in here that I once sat next to Billy Bragg on a picnic table at a chainmakers rally?
    edited August 2013
    You could donate it to CM which is Community Music in London.Great bunch of people there and I studied there about 8 years ago. They would take it.

They have links in Bristol too I believe.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    The best use you can make of it is to sell it to someone who really wants it for the highest possible price, and give the money to charity.

Particularly don't give it to a school, they'll just wreck it. And I say that as someone who does a lot of work for my local school and has donated things, and would be happy to receive something appropriate - ie a playable bottom of the range instrument of no more value than it needs to be usable. I can guarantee that within weeks it will be bashed about, switch and jack broken, with rusty strings.

In fact I'm on my way to a school this afternoon to pick up a bunch of them for emergency repairs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Liking the community music thing, I'll look to see if they have something similar in Bristol or Bath

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    does the Drake project 'use' such things -     the original MR/GASFest  guys have a long standing association with Drake
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ROOG said:
    Liking the community music thing, I'll look to see if they have something similar in Bristol or Bath
    http://www.cmsounds.com

If you contact them here you can speak with Vanessa or Maricia - they could get you linked up with someone in your area.
    Bertie and Stonevibe, thanks for the leads.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    God-children and Nephews do pretty well out of me on this front.

I donated my Eko 6 string to a local school - they were grateful.  It's built like a tank so will take the abuse ......

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited August 2013
    I'm a bit worried about the weight of the LP for schools use, I popped it on the bathroom scales, they said 5.4kg or 11.9lb

Jalapeno said:
    God-children and Nephews do pretty well out of me on this front.

I donated my Eko 6 string to a local school - they were grateful.  It's built like a tank so will take the abuse ......

Mine would ebay it!
    :x

• Jalapeno;22133" said:
    Trouble is, if it hurts a child's fingers because of steel strings/typical action on those things, you'll probably be sued under health and safety legislation....
    ICBM said:
    The best use you can make of it is to sell it to someone who really wants it for the highest possible price, and give the money to charity.

Particularly don't give it to a school, they'll just wreck it. And I say that as someone who does a lot of work for my local school and has donated things, and would be happy to receive something appropriate - ie a playable bottom of the range instrument of no more value than it needs to be usable. I can guarantee that within weeks it will be bashed about, switch and jack broken, with rusty strings.

In fact I'm on my way to a school this afternoon to pick up a bunch of them for emergency repairs.

Sorry ICBM, I think I must have skipped by your post, that's sad regarding the school stuff. I remember my school had a fair o'l mixture of instruments, but no guitars. The brass stuff seemed to survive whilst I was there.

I take your point about selling and making a monetary donation, in fairness that is what all groups would prefer. 

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    if you get no joy,  we'll take it and raffle it off for Boxer rescue, or Holly Hedge............ or some other thing that mrs bert does gigs for

if you're not into animal charities, not a problem..............
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited August 2013

Okey Dokey, Bertie, let me see how it goes, bringing it into the office tomorrow to see if they want it, then I can pass on any cash to charity.

I know this might sound daft but I'm just looking for a simple but somehow worthwhile transfer of "playable bottom of the range instrument of no more value than it needs to be usable" guitarness. I love that sentence ( credit to ICBM), it so sums up my guitar.

btw, I have no objection to animal charities.