BBC The Repair Shop- Restoration of a mid-60's Fender Jazz

What's Hot
Flame_GuitarsFlame_Guitars Frets: 79
in Guitar tFB Trader
For any fans of The Repair Shop have a look at last Wednesday's episode in which I restore a mid-60's Fender Jazz bass. The bass was owned by Tony Wilson, founding member of the band Hot Chocolate. The bass was in a poor condition and needed a re-fret, work on the back of the neck which had suffered quite serious damage, replacement of the Fender decal, overhaul of the wiring circuit and a good clean. Hours of work condensed down to 15 minutes in the show! Here's a link to Series 4 Episode 18.
The Repair Shop
Flame Guitars. Custom electric guitars, servicing & repairs by David Kennett
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    I saw that too - was really interesting, and certainly to-the-point. I especially liked the relicing of the new bridge cover with a hammer and a stone...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Nice one! My dad told me about this and he watches it and said I'd have loved that episode so glad to see it linked.
  • Flame_GuitarsFlame_Guitars Frets: 79
    tFB Trader
    I saw that too - was really interesting, and certainly to-the-point. I especially liked the relicing of the new bridge cover with a hammer and a stone...
    Don't think I can claim the credit for this being my original idea. I think I might have seen it on a Dan Erwine video. But I wonder if I could start selling stones specially selected for relicing guitar parts!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22863
    Nice programme, thanks for posting the link.  I must admit I was a bit alarmed when you took a spokeshave to the back of the neck, but it all turned out very nicely.
  • Thanks for posting. Very interesting.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    Interesting. I think that if you’d gone any further it would probably have been to far.
    tFB Trader
    Interesting. I think that if you’d gone any further it would probably have been to far.
    Yes, I'm well aware that the extent of any work done on an instrument of this age will be a contentious issue for many. I too could say much about this. In short, I think that a balance has to be struck between leaving the instrument as is and making it playable. With regards to bass shown in the film the damage to the back of the neck was such that you might have cut your hand on the splintered wood. So after some thought I decided to reshape the neck and make it playable. But I might have taken a different view if this was  Fender Jazz from the first year of production!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    I watched this earlier. Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    I had a '66 mustang with a chunk out of the neck a little bit like that. Played fine, no splinters. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2527
    My Dad mentioned this show to me at the weekend. Never heard of it before then this thread appeared!!

An enjoyable watch that, OP thanks!
  • Just got around to watching it, very interesting.  Thanks for the tip @Flame_Guitars ;
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited April 2019
    Not seen this b4 but immediately recognised is located at Singleton Ope Air museum... Fantastic place...

But was with the massive Fret Buzz at the end??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Yes, I'm well aware that the extent of any work done on an instrument of this age will be a contentious issue for many. I too could say much about this. In short, I think that a balance has to be struck between leaving the instrument as is and making it playable. With regards to bass shown in the film the damage to the back of the neck was such that you might have cut your hand on the splintered wood. So after some thought I decided to reshape the neck and make it playable. But I might have taken a different view if this was  Fender Jazz from the first year of production!
    You have to wonder how the back of the neck got that badly damaged. I guess that if it had been an extremely rare collectible guitar the solution would have been getting a good  replacement neck in order to make it playable and keeping the old neck in the case so that a “hang it on the wall” collector could fit it at a later date.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    I think you did exactly the right thing - it was his dads guitar, he wanted to play it, there was no other way and maximising value wasn’t the order of the day.

Based on how many threads around here go along the lines of ‘vintage stuff is overpriced’ I’m surprised so many people are commenting on the loss of originality
    tFB Trader
    I think you did exactly the right thing - it was his dads guitar, he wanted to play it, there was no other way and maximising value wasn’t the order of the day.

Based on how many threads around here go along the lines of ‘vintage stuff is overpriced’ I’m surprised so many people are commenting on the loss of originality
    Thanks mate, appreciate that. Having worked on many old guitars I am content with my approach. But it is worth hearing others peoples views on this matter. It is also worth pointing out that other restorers, such as painting restorers, have had a hundred years or so to develop a common understanding about sympathetic and appropriate restoration. In the guitar community this is relatively recent issue. Let's make the Fretboard a place where we can have a respectful discussion about this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't think you should just be content. You should be delighted with getting his Dad's guitar in to the condition he wanted it in. 
    What would be the alternative? Tell him to run a duster over it and hang it on a wall?
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I think The Repair Shop is a sweet show and usually very interesting. In amongst the little clips they show at the beginning, a few weeks ago there was a brief glimpse of a guitar, so I'd been waiting for the show! Excellent job, I thought.

Having watched the show anyway for a couple of series now, I've always wondered ... do the experts do all the work in that barn, having to transport all your their tools to it? Or was most of your work actually done back at your workshop?
    tFB Trader
    All work is done at the barn. I've now made two repairs at the barn and the biggest challenge us not the repair but working out what tools and materials I need to take with me. Got caught out on the second repair and had to improvise . The resident experts are on site for about 4 months and have their tools at the barn.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just watched it, never seen the show before but what a thoroughly decent watch. 

Congratulations on being involved, 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    That was good to watch, thanks for posting.

Great job!