Show Us Your PA!

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So, Im getting into a nerdy moment again and Id like to know what PA systems you guys are using... Il get a pic of ours when we set up next.. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    edited May 2014
    Ahh nothing nerdie about being interested in good PA

HK Actor DX with either Tascam DM4800 digital desk or more recently the superb A&H QU16 digital desk.  HK Dart monitors for one guy, rest of us are on IEM's. All instrument mics are Senn 9 series and all vox mics are Senn G3 wireless. 

PA is 4 x bins and 2 x tops like this :  

I took a vid of us setting up in a typical club gig once and then sped it up Benny Hill style

I remember when I started gig'ing all we had was a Marshall 4 channel mixer head and 2 horrible speakers. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Danny1969 said:
    Ahh nothing nerdie about being interested in good PA

HK Actor DX with either Tascam DM4800 digital desk or more recently the superb A&H QU16 digital desk.  HK Dart monitors for one guy, rest of us are on IEM's. All instrument mics are Senn 9 series and all vox mics are Senn G3 wireless. 

PA is 4 x bins and 2 x tops like this :  

I took a vid of us setting up in a typical club gig once and then sped it up Benny Hill style

I remember when I started gig'ing all we had was a Marshall 4 channel mixer head and 2 horrible speakers. 

Crikey! Thats a hell of a rig! We are using a pair of powered Mackie speakers and a 12 channel desk and thats all right now. No monitoring or anything. However, we're not playing the same size venues as you are by the looks of things!
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maltings-Audio/44461699693

HK Contour
    Allen and Heath iLive or mix wiz 
    Proel Neos wedges
    HZ Z500's for smaller Jobs
    LD systems actives for even smaller jobs

When I gig in the Duo take the HZ's and Mixwiz 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    Allen and Heath ZED 22fx and a pair of RCF 310A's
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited May 2014
    @Danny1969 great video
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    This is our set up

http://www.mercury-av.com/sales/Electrovoice-ZXA1-SUB-System.html

Light (very!), compact, loud and sounds incredible.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736

Wait, what?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I tried taking photos of my PA but she said she'd report me for sexual harassment if I didn't stop. [-X
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited May 2014
    No pic unfortunately (yet!) but seeking a bit of advice. We're thinking of upgrading our PA which currently consists of a Studiomaster Horizon 1208 powered desk (600 + 600 watts) and two old speakers which are nearing the end of their usefulness. 

We're currently looking at 2 x RCF 715A Mk 2 powered speakers. I'm wondering if we get these & subsequently find we still need a bass bin for the lower end, can we use the power in the desk to drive a passive sub or would we be better saving for an active one? Would we need a crossover? Think the crossover module in the desk is shot.

PA will be mainly for vox but to get a nice balance it would be good to get a bit of guitar, bass & bass drum going through as well - 4 piece band playing classic rock covers in small local pubs so we're after better clarity rather than volume.

Would really appreciate any advice!
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    edited May 2014
    How are you finding the HK Actor? I've been debating whether to upgrade my PA (currently 2 x Yamaha MSR400 Speakers) to this and the active subs (not the passive ones as well).

Seen the older, non DX version, for a fairly decent price, but I've seen slightly mixed reviews. Do they pack enough of a punch for all the big venues?
    edited May 2014
    ash96 said:
    How are you finding the HK Actor? I've been debating whether to upgrade my PA (currently 2 x Yamaha MSR400 Speakers) to this and the active subs (not the passive ones as well).

Seen the older, non DX version, for a fairly decent price, but I've seen slightly mixed reviews. Do they pack enough of a punch for all the big venues?
    We've had the Actor DX for over 5 years now, it's been reliable and I haven't heard anything better in the same kinda price bracket. It's a versatile system, for the small gig's you can just use the tops, then you can use one bin per side and the tops via poles or the full on stack. You just set the processor accordingly. 

It's a punchy system rather than bowel watering sub based. It doesn't pack a lot below 60Hz but it has a hi fi type clarity all the way upto around 17Khz. 

The older non DX version is less powerful and use's different amps and processor I think. I haven't heard one but for big 500 plus gigs we use an older HK Linear Pro rig which is 4 x 18" bins, 2 x 15" tops with horns and 2 amps in a rack with the correct crossover card in the processor. That whole rig came from Ebay for about 2K a few years ago so there's some bargains out there

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I am amazed how big some of your PA are ? 
    How long is normal set up time and strip down time? 
    For me with a small rig, it is literally minutes, singer is a pain sometimes as he likes to do things his own way and very methodical. So I generally have PA , back line and stuff set, before he is ready. 
    We then do Take it easy as a sound check, and by the time of the solo, we are done.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    @koneguitarist
    what are you running through your pa ... how many in your band?
    Guess it was a daft question(s) lol - have mercy I'm a PA numpty! :-S

• ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    Danny1969 said:
    We've had the Actor DX for over 5 years now, it's been reliable and I haven't heard anything better in the same kinda price bracket. It's a versatile system, for the small gig's you can just use the tops, then you can use one bin per side and the tops via poles or the full on stack. You just set the processor accordingly. 

It's a punchy system rather than bowel watering sub based. It doesn't pack a lot below 60Hz but it has a hi fi type clarity all the way upto around 17Khz. 

The older non DX version is less powerful and use's different amps and processor I think. I haven't heard one but for big 500 plus gigs we use an older HK Linear Pro rig which is 4 x 18" bins, 2 x 15" tops with horns and 2 amps in a rack with the correct crossover card in the processor. That whole rig came from Ebay for about 2K a few years ago so there's some bargains out there

What power is the DX one?
    I know someone selling the older model, with only one set of subs each side for under a grand, might even be able to get them down a bit. Tempted at this as an all over upgrade as I was gonna just get some active subs for my current speakers but its probably looking at being about £400 just for some second hand subs.

I've seen the older Actors are only about 400watts, which my current speakers are. We're a 5 piece band and our PA is usually fine for everything but would be nice to have a bit more power sometimes. and subs so we can put bass through the PA too.
    ash96 said:
    Danny1969 said:

What power is the DX one?
    I know someone selling the older model, with only one set of subs each side for under a grand, might even be able to get them down a bit. Tempted at this as an all over upgrade as I was gonna just get some active subs for my current speakers but its probably looking at being about £400 just for some second hand subs.

I've seen the older Actors are only about 400watts, which my current speakers are. We're a 5 piece band and our PA is usually fine for everything but would be nice to have a bit more power sometimes. and subs so we can put bass through the PA too.
    Actor DX is 3.2Kw RMS, 2 x 2K of sub and 2 x 600 watt of tops

Other things to consider would be QSC K series, or a couple of big Nexo's and a nice big amp 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    close2u said:
    @koneguitarist
    what are you running through your pa ... how many in your band?

5pc band, mainly running vocals and Acoutic guitar, plus depending on the gig, keys and electric guitar. If we play a larger venue, will occasionally borrow a powered RCF bin, or a couple of bins and a power amp.
    @koneguitarist - I see you're running RCF 10's - did you try the 15's at all before buying? Thanks