The Stone Roses - Released 30 years ago today

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    the_jaffa said:
    axisus said:
    A band I have never knowingly heard. I couldn't name one song of theirs. My perception of them was that they wouldn't interest me. 
    And yet you came on a thread all about them just to say that. I’ve never understood this sort of post. 
    I don't see the problem. I wasn't actually negative about them, and to be honest I feel that it's an album I should listen to. I was pretty much the same about Oasis during their time (although I did hear some singles). I didn't actually buy an album until years after they had wound up.

I'm now at an age where I think How did I totally miss that band? OK, I agree that my statement didn't actually say that! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    edited May 2019
    I usually listen to stuff for the first time 30 years after release so I guess now would be a good time 
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Can't deny that there wasn't a few decent songs on this album, but I didn't really get it then (I was 15 at the time) and still don't get the great obsession now

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    edited May 2019
    Weekend has included a loft clear out which turned up my last few vinyls. Only record player is my 14 year old daughters, so gave them to her. She really likes stone roses (proper version no fools gold) and soup dragons love god. 

She quite likes the jam  sound affects and elvis Costello.  Not keen on billy Bragg or ozrics?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Your daughter has good taste :)
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    I was more of an 80’s child in terms of going out and getting pissed.... so sorta missed 90’s hedonism of Rave/Madchester stuff.... but I absolutely love the Stone Roses.  :)
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I Am The Resurrection is one of the best pieces of British Pop/Rock ever. And the most influential. A whole decade of U.K. guitar bands seemed to use that as template.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    the_jaffa said:
    axisus said:
    A band I have never knowingly heard. I couldn't name one song of theirs. My perception of them was that they wouldn't interest me. 
    And yet you came on a thread all about them just to say that. I’ve never understood this sort of post. If there’s a band that I feel like that about I might, maybe, read the thread about them but I would ever feel the need to post because it would bring absolutely nothing to the conversation. 

FWIW, I like most of the Second Coming but it’s just not got the same appeal to me. It’s all a bit too obvious in my opinion whereas I really enjoy the subtlety of the first album. I think the guitar playing on the first album is far more interesting than on the Second Coming. The lyrical content is definitely better too. Then there’s the slight unfinished feel to the Second Coming; Daybreak in particular sounding like an unfinished jam (I actually quite like it but look forward to hearing the finished article someday). 

Less said about the godawful Straight to the Man the better. 

This is all just my opinion though obviously and I would never force that on anyone else. For me though, they hit their peak about August 89
    I generally prefer the second coming but I know where you are coming from. 
    The album feels very Led Zep inspired in places. The Seahorses album picks up from where second coming left off. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    munckee said:
    music was never the same again for me
    Agree - this album blew my mind when it came out. I just listened on repeat for days
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    Never a big fan of Stone Roses, thought Fools gold was a banging tune :),  I had stopped listening to music around 1986, don't think i listened to the radio or even followed TOTP. Then the Word came out on CH4....and indie britpop was born. 

Happy Mondays., Soup Dragons, Oasis, Blur, The Charlatans, The Farm, all good stuff
    “Ken sent me.”
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    For some reason I didn't latch on to the album right when it came out, even though I was very much into that kind of stuff at the time.  Happily I got hold of it in '92 just before I went away to Salford Uni, so it became the soundtrack of my first explorations of Manchester.  It still reminds of walking around the rougher areas of Salford with long hair and a walkman, trying to avoid getting beaten up....
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1018
    Just spent the last two days playing the album in my car, forgotten that i liked Waterfall. 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    I remember buying the album after reading about them (they were hyped) in the NME. Two weeks later I was watching them play in the students' union. The next morning I went, coincidentally, on a road trip to Manchester with a couple of friends, where we got lost in Moss Side at 3am (that's another story...)

I play the album every now and then, but hardly ever listen to The Second Coming. My recollection is that it's aimless, rambling and full of indulgent blues-rock riffing. I remember years later being in a conference in the USA with a French colleague who was a big Roses fan, who argued with me over several nights in the hotel bar that the second album was much better than the first. Incroyable. I might give it a spin this weekend, but I doubt it'll change my mind.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    the_jaffa said:

Really doesn’t seem that long ago
    If you want to realise how long ago it is - when it was released, 30 years ago at that time Buddy Holly had just died in a plane crash a couple of months back...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    I was always a bit split on the Roses.

Some absolutely glorious moments but some dreadful filler as well. I find myself hitting "skip" too often if I put on one of their albums.