Very Slow Radiator Leak

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
As in the title, it is very, very slow, but I want to nip it in the bud.

What is this Radiator Part called? The Hex Head Part Screw Part, is it called a "Plug" or "Cap"? I can call in to a Plumbing Supplier tomorrow to get one.

https://i.imgur.com/TMPC1Jk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8ui92mh.jpg

I assume it's a job an idiot like I can do? I've not had any problems with Radiators before.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Hello Jon,
    I'm pretty sure it's called a blanking plug.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    proggy said:
    Hello Jon,
    I'm pretty sure it's called a blanking plug.
    It is....it probably just needs some PTFE tape , the plug is probably fine  but if not...take the pic in ...theres only a couple fo sizes..make sure the heating is off , get bucket and a towel and just go for it.

You will need adjustable spanner or pipe grips...and some PTFE tape, get it with the blank plug , wrap a few turns of tape around the plug thread and wind it in...job done.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    Thanks @proggy and @spark240 I assume it is also recommended to turn the regulator to "off" as well as making sure the Heating is not on?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    Agree with what's been said.  Before you release it, isolate the radiator by closing the valve and also closing the lock shield on the other side.  You're then only dealing with the water in that radiator, not the whole system.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    The problem will be if the thread in the radiator has pitted heavily with rust so the cap won't seal fully even with PTFE tape. In that case you may have to take more drastic measures...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Aye, that might be the case @ICBM ;

Thanks also @steveledzep If it is ok when replaced, will the radiators need Bleeding? Obviously the Boiler might need a slight top up.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited May 2019
    Thanks @proggy and @spark240 I assume it is also recommended to turn the regulator to "off" as well as making sure the Heating is not on?
    You should get away with shutting the valves at each end of the rad. One of them will be a wheel valve or a TRV, the other one you’ll need to pull the cap off and turn it off with a spanner. Count how many turns it takes to shut the one with a spanner, you’ll need to open it the same amount when you finish or the system balance will go off kilter. 

I don’t think you’ll need to replace the blanking plug, it probably just needs resealing. As said above a couple of turns of PTFE tape should sort it. With the threaded side facing you, wind the tape round clockwise.  BUT the plug might have an O ring or fibre washer at the base, if it does and they look perished or cracked then either change them or get a new plug. 

Edit. Don’t forget to bleed the rad when you’ve finished the job.  ;) If you’ve got a combi boiler you’ll also need to put some pressure back into the system via the filling loop. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11895
    take the cover off before you start, otherwise you might damage it

On most rads, you slide up the end panel, and it pops out
    put a bit of masking tape over that plug socket, not a major risk but nice to not get it wet
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Not a couple of turns of PTFE tape, more like a couple of dozen. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    hywelg said:
    Not a couple of turns of PTFE tape, more like a couple of dozen. 
    Put that much on and it won’t screw in.  ;)

A couple of turns should do it, it’s only needed to stop the water creeping along the screw thread. If it seriously needs more than that much tape then the threads are completely knackered and either the plug or rad are scrap. 
    Getting conflicting views about how many wraps of tape. We have a builder in at work who says about a dozen turns :)

what's with taking the cover off advice? The plug will unscrew with the cover on?

Confused.com :)
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited May 2019
    I've done a few installs and you put twice as much on as you think you need to!

My mates a gas fitter and i've done a few days with him (was thinking about a career change) and yes, a dozen or more wont be a problem. A couple like @boogieman suggests will be as good as useless!

Although, to be fair. Most new plugs have washers on so you dont PTFE them at all. Only the pipe fittings
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    iirc those plugs have a rubber washer on them too, it's been a while since I fitted one. But in any event a 'few' wraps of PFTE and then run your nail gently into the threads so it goes in the rad easy. You can get little bottles of liguid PFTE, its a blue liquid so a spash of that on there too might be belt and braces, the stuff doesn't keep long term though so reseal the bottle well to get decent value in the future.
    The idea of removing the cover is to get at it cleanly and avoid scratching the nice white panel with an adjustable nut cracker!

Well, I think I managed that without fucking owt up, had heating on and off sice and seems OK. That PTFE tape is fiddly fucking stuff, it must have been hilarious to watch me trying to apply that. Although I am a Guitarist, I'm pretty cack-handed at a lot of things, Egg Whisks for Hands ;)

The Plug did have a rubber washer on the shoulder @ESBlonde I still put a good few wraps of PTFE on though.

The leak was probably so small that it evaporated while the heating was on, but dripped out very slow once the Rad had cooled down.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    You do need to wind it the right way off the roll in order to keep it tensioned so it pulls tight into the threads. And the direction is important too so it doesn't start unwrapping when you screw it into unit the socket. 

And yes one or two wraps round in no bloody good at all. Twice as much as you think you need is good. 
    However, the most important use for PTFE tape is to stop tremolo arms from swinging around too freely 

;-)