Earth From Space

What's Hot
NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
edited May 2019 in Off Topic
Just finished watching the 4th (and final) episode of this on BBC1.  Absolutely fascinating, looking at facets of natural and human activity on Earth, as viewed from satellites in orbit.

There's a lot to be worried about, but the programmes also show what a useful tool it is to be able to see the totality of activities, and to be able to act on what they see.

Well worth a watch if you can: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p072n2zr

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. The satellite imagery showing how humanity has fucked up the planet over the last few decades is very sobering.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    The images were amazing, but            I             found                the                                                  narration           painfully                                                                     slow!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11943
    I'm waiting for the review comments from Sir Axeman
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Kilgore said:
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. The satellite imagery showing how humanity has fucked up the planet over the last few decades is very sobering.
    I haven’t watched it yet but I’ve got it downloaded.

I also watched a Horizon documentary on space junk last night - worrying. If we’re not careful, Earth orbit will become effectively unusable for this kind of thing. We’ve even managed to fuck that in only about 50 years...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Fuengi said:
    The images were amazing, but            I             found                the                                                  narration           painfully                                                                     slow!

@Fuengi - it was dreadful, wasn't it!  I watch with subtitles these days, and they were faster than he was!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom